Zoom 55 issue, update question (resolved)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W1ADE, Oct 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1ADE

W1ADE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping this is right forum, saw note but don't see "test equipment and testing" forum. I do appreciate the sorting that Mods have to do.

Have a new RigExpert AA-55 Zoom in hand. I got it Thursday. Love it. It's a wonderful little device.

But for one tiny small issue: Selecting memory slot 4 locks it up completely. Actually don't have to select it. If the cursor passes over slot 4, it's over. Stop, turn it over, pop out/in battery or disconnect all power. It won't respond to anything else once it locks up.

I've tried twice to submit a form to RigExpert, and since that failed I've sent a note to the vendor.

AS the software updating is Windows based and I am not, I cannot use their files for the "latest update". I find no "support group" online. I find no way to see what the current software release is for this model.

I have firmware ver 1.18 according to the splash on startup...

WHOOT, I found a way to clear the memories and that resolved my issue.

nevermind!

2. W1ADE

W1ADE Ham Member QRZ Page

So in case anyone else ever has a Memory Slot issue with their RigExpert device, here's what I did to fix this one:

Go into "SETUP"
    find "Clear saved charts"
    select "Yes"

And all was betterer. Hope that fixes yours too. Mine had some goofy file-names in there to start and I'd used (overwritten) the first three slots, but if the 4th slot "03" ever became highlighted, it'd lock up. There was no way to go past that point or to recover by the keypad. THANKfully, RigExpert requires zero screws to be removed to access the battery cover (some of us truly appreciate small details like this).

KU3X likes this.
  3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Good info. Thanks for sharing. I have the 230 zoom and the aa-600. No issues so far.
    Barry

W1ADE likes this.