ZK3A booming in on 80M this morning

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth, brother.
    I got them on 15 and 17 in the afternoon.

W4NNF likes this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Set the alarm clock :) 0900 / 1000 z on the east coast is a good time. They're in the log here at 09:30.. might be even a little better closer to 1000

[​IMG]

W4NNF likes this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My 80m cage inverted vee (apex at 70' AGL) is fed w/ about 85' of coax. I surmised that, if I drove it all against some radials, it might be close enough to 50Ω ±j0 for my rig's ATU to drive it on 160m. To do the switching I used a SPDT vacuum relay in a PVC box. The relay box sits 'downstream' from my shack's feedline ground bus. I use a bias tee to drive the relay's 12 VDC coil from my shack 13.8 VDC power supply:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    click for bigly image(s)
    The schematic:
    [​IMG]
    click for bigly image
    Note that, to work on 160m, there is NO common mode choke at the inverted vee apex. Initially, I had only a few 50' - 83' radials. I found it worked better when I added more radials. :)

KB2FCV and N2EY like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And now ZK3A is QRT. New I shoulda dragged myself outa bed and tried to work 'em on the low bands. :(

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was my plan as well. I wanted to try again on 30 meters, where I have heard them quite well in past mornings.

Then, I read the news last night and decided to sleep in. :)

I hope everything works out well for the individual involved.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like the person is OK. The ill person wasn't a member of the DXpedition, they were one of the islanders.

7. NF4J

NF4J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I HEARD your QSO!!! I was trying to get them as well but my 160m wire needs a little work. I did get them on 6 bands for 11 Q's, but I was really wanting the 160 in the log...maybe next time, but I did hear your call that morning for sure...Good Job Sir. Im over in Theodore, Al...just a mile away from the City of Mobile City Limits...Lots of Hams in our area. 73 OM...
    Danny NF4J

N5CM likes this.