ZK3A booming in on 80M this morning

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the same thing here in central Louisiana. I got up at 0-dark-thirty on Sunday morning and started listening and participating in the 160m pileup on CW. Their signal was readable but not much more. As the sun came up, their signal came up. I worked them at 07:08 CDT, and their signal was about 569 here.

They have some skillful and patient ops!

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! Their signal came up about an hour earlier for me Sunday morning during the greyline here. No dice getting through the pileup in the short window but I'll certainly keep trying. They weren't on 160 this morning.. a few more mornings left to try hopefully.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you use it as a dipole, or do you tie the feeders together and work it against ground, as a top-loaded vertical?

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. KB2FCV

Just as a horribly inefficient dipole. Since I'm so close, I'm kind of determined / challenging myself to hit 100 dxcc entities before I make any changes or improvements to the existing setup. I may try an inverted L or a vertical with a capacitance hat if I can figure out how/where to run radials... but no changes til I hit 100 entities on 160. I think the top-loaded vertical would require radials, right?

N2EY likes this.
  5. N2EY

I understand your challenge perfectly! And since you've gotten this far....

The trick with a dipole such as yours is to have some sort of switching arrangement at ground level that ties the two feeder wires together and to a matching network (if needed). In that configuration, most of the radiation comes from the vertical feedline; the dipole is mostly top loading. The switching arrangement can be very simple, if you don't mind walking outside to change over to/from 160.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. KB2FCV

Yep! It would be one thing if I had another 50 to go.. but down to 4. ZK3 is most likely unrealistic for the capabilities of this antenna but there is plenty of low hanging fruit still out there to work to get me there.

I have certainly hear of tying the two feeders together and will look further into that. As it is I have to swap tuners to go to 160 (my usual tuner is a viking kw matchbox).. so any other switching of stuff isn't too far out of the question (or once I come up with a more permanent solution it will be something I can switch in / out easily).

Back to the original topic.. still could use them on 20 and 15 as well. Pileups haven't been too bad. Didn't take too long to get through on 80/40 cw the other morning. Nicely run operation!

7. N2EY

@WA7PRC has a neat setup for using his coax-fed cage inverted V on 160.

KB2FCV likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've worked them on 20 and 15, but haven't even heard them on 80. Maybe I'm not staying up late enough or getting up early enough. :(

9. N2EY

Think "dawn patrol" on those bands.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know. And I keep telling myself I'm gonna get outa bed at 4 am and head for the shack...but... ;)