ad: CARC-1

Zeros & the letter "O"

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by MM0HRL, Feb 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. MM0HRL

MM0HRL Guest

As per the title above, can't see how to use a font with a slash through the zero. Using one could clarify 0o confusion in odd cases. I tried the small default set of fonts in the editor but none have this. (Unless I'm making some bonehead error - not that unlikely!)

Apparently both "Consolas" and "Terminal" fonts have this but neither are available to choose in the editor provided. Is there a workaround for this?

2. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Slash Zero

The sequence is :

ALT - 0216 ...

As I understand it is an ASCII font ..

JBC

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way you can do that is to go to an external program like Word and insert a special character.

However... 0O0O0O0O0O0O0O zeros are skinnier than Os. :)

4. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The HTML code for slashed zero is Ø (all red marks!)

If you would like to use slashed zero in callsign area in top - just set in CSS #calldata area font which support it (as example http://www.k8zt.com/zero.html#fonts )

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are using Windows then you should be able to use "Character Map" found under, Accessories - System Tools.

Good Luck.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please don't substitute slashed letters for numerals... It's just not good. :(

No one substitutes letter l for numeral 1 anymore, do they?

If your computer doesn't display a zero correctly, somewhere someone has a font you can use which does.

7. MM0HRL

MM0HRL Guest

The last respondent.... who's wanting to sub a slashed letter for a numeral? My callsign has a zero in it which looks like a letter o. Some fonts contain a zero character with a slash through it. That was the point of my question. I'm after a slashed zero to show it's a zero and not a letter o.

I've seen other callsigns.... (I'm fairly sure) which have slashed zeros - which are more readily identifiable as zeros in any alphanumeric series. And there are callsign series where it's just possible for a o to look like a 0. See the difference? Not so easy. I'd just rather have a slashed zero, but don't want the result to get missed from callsign searches.

- Using the Alt-code way of entering it might mean my callsign didn't show up in searches. As the character depicting the zero - might not (please correct me here if wrong) get ID'd as a zero as the character in ASCII terms was - different.

My understanding of these things is - sketchy. answers with funny code in that I can't relate to aren't going to help me - it's like 15 years or so since I was involved with IT any any real sense and with being older nowadays, my thinker ain't quite what it was.

Do searches use the callsign banner at the top of the member's page as the identifier to be searched for - or is it the core info in the account that's searched for? If it's the latter, my point re missed searches will be groundless. I think?

Cheers all

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My point was the same as yours. Substituting slashed letter O's for the numeral zero, as suggested, doesn't help anyone.

I don't know how to do it on your computer, but some browsers let you pick the fonts they use, and you can get fonts with slashed zeroes.

I don't know if this helps you, but this font does have a proper slashed zero: http://www.marksimonson.com/fonts/view/anonymous-pro

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

that is correct, but, you can't fix/prevent other peoples keyboard errors.

it's called GIGO.

just for grins, I plugged MM0HRL into my browser and got 482 hits, then I used MMoHRL and got 0 (zero) hits.