zerofive rotatable dipole

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB4MNG, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking at purchasing a 20 meter zerofive rotatable dipole. I was wondering if a rotatable dipole is much better than a fixed position wire dipole. Will I see a big difference in the received and transmitted signal? I would like to have a yagi but unable to do so. This will only be about 35 ft up.

kb4mng

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Being able to rotate the antenna is definitely better than a fixed one. Although the basic pattern is still a "figure 8", turning the antenna allows the other station to be "peaked" in whatever direction it is located. With a fixed dipole you generally have nulls over about half of the pattern.

Glen, K9STH

3. K3SI

K3SI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you considered one of the multiband rotatable dipoles that are out there? Or you could look at the driven element of a beam, Mosley has two models that will cover 20,15,&20.
    73 Dave K3SI

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That depends, sometimes the pattern of a dipole antenna isn't exactly the same as the ones shown in the books. The amount of null off the sides may only be a few db down or it could be quite a bit more. For a rotator all you need is one that will move the antenna 180 degrees. That will cover all the possible pattern peaks and nulls of a properly installed dipole.
    You could also make the antenna yourself from aluminum tubing and do well.
    Good luck on your installation.
    Gary

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. NA7U

NA7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you be able to get a Yagi, quad, etc. sometime in the future? Seems like a lot of bread to layout for a dipole, even if it is rotatable, especially if you are going to replace it someday. You could get essentially the same effect by putting up two wire dipoles more or less at 90 degree angles as either flat-tops or inverted vees. Anyway, at least you've got a 1/2 wl. of height, which should help your DX TO angle a good deal.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can only get it up 35 ft it is a waste of money !
    On 20 M, a wire dipole at 35 ft will do the same thing and cost about 30 bucks if you buy the wire and insulators brand new.

7. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you looked into buying/building a cobwebb antenna? Don't need to rotate it and it will work great on 5 bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.