ZeroFive GP1040 Groundplane vertical vs. Cushcraft R8

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA1ST, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA1ST

KA1ST Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,
    I'm considering the purchase of a vertical antenna--either a Zero Five GP1040 Groundplane vertical or perhaps a Cushcraft R8.
    Would appreciate guidance as to the pro's and cons of each. Is one clearly the better? What about in the context of price?
    Many Thanks in advance.
    --Steve, KA1ZL

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned a predecessor to the R8 and I had good results with it. I understand the R8, however, is a mechanical disappointment. The R8 should be resonant on each of the bands in question, making the need for a tuner less important. Roof mounted, I would expect very decent performance. I had my R7 on a 10 foot pole in the back yard, and it worked well - would have been better on the roof. However, I was glad it was where I could easily tilt it over for tuning. I see they now have an R9 that also covers 80 meters. My guess is that on 80, the bandwidth is going to be pretty narrow.

The Zero Five is an off-center fed antenna that is only resonant on 20 meters. A tuner is used to match it on the other bands. My guess would be the antenna works well on 20, 15, and 10 with a tuner, so-so on 30 and probably not so hot on 40.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not particularly sanguine about either of those antennas.

The Zero Five uses a wideband matching transformer AND
    requires a minimum coax run of 100 feet AND a wideband tuner.
    Heck, if you have enough coax loss your rig can see a
    match loading a lawn chair.

The R8 uses a wideband matching transformer, is pretty
    expensive at $569 + shipping, and mechanically looks
    like an accident waiting to happen. (But I live in a windy
    area so I may be biased). Some reviews state QC
    and assembly/tuning difficulties with the R8.

When I was in 5R8 I had an R7 over a metal roof and
    it was a screamer on 10-15-20, so-so on 40m. But the
    R8 is a completely different design.

Are you committed to a "No Radial" vertical?
    If not there are a lot of options. I have a roof mounted
    HF6V and love it. The 4BTV and 5BTV are good performers
    and very well priced, and excellent value for the money.

GL ES 73, Ken AD6KA

5. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the ZeroFive 6-80 METER BROADBAND GROUNDPLANE FREESTANDING VERTICAL ANTENNA 43' GP1080 with a LDG tuner. Worked great on the lower bands. Not so much on 40 and hardly at all on 80. I would still be using it, except for bad engineering on my part. I had it up 14' on standard 1 1/2" TV pipe. After a nasty little Winter storm came through, I went out to inspect and found it leaning 40 degrees. I waited for the snow to melt off of the roof and on the 21st of Dec. I was able to take it out of the air. Due to it's height it came periliously close to power lines. I've since gone with a 5 band hex from KIO which will be up 30 to 35'. A dipole for 40 & 80.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.