ad: M2Ant-1

ZeroFive counterpoise

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AA0V, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently installed my Zerofive multiband vertical at my new QTH. I was going to install my hex beam on an existing tower but found two of the legs had small splits. I guess from moisture freezing in them. I'm not going to put anything on the tower other than a Alpha Delta DX-DD. Back to the vertical. It has six 133" counterpoise. I get dx like gangbusters. Not much state side. Is there a way to rein this thing in? Like bending the counterpoise, removing them or maybe less than six? It's getting harder to climb the ladder, don't want to buy the extra set of counterpoise for experimentation. Any ideas?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't change them, other than perhaps by adding more of them.

Reducing the counterpoise or ground plane won't make it a better "local" antenna.

If you like to work locals, try 40 meters.:eek: Or maybe 80 meters.

Tower legs with splits are unsafe and shouldn't be climbed; however if you have a way to get the DX-DD up there without climbing it (access from a ladder? rooftop? bucket truck? send up a trained squirrel?) it will probably support a wire antenna just fine.

3. AA0V

I can hear them on 10 12 15 17 20 and 40. I just have trouble making contact. My ldg tuner transmits 100w in bypass on 15 17 and 40. Tunes up nicely on the others except 80. I am unsure as to what the take off angle would be. I have the counterpoise at about 7'. My profile pix shows the setup if you squint.

4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Which Zerofive model do you have? I seem to recall that these antennas can be used with or without radials, sometimes AKA counterpoises.

I couldn't find the picture you refer to, even squinting! :confused:

5. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When you get the Alpha Delta DX-DD installed you can compare antennas.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Verticals suck for shorter range communications. I run an 80 meter net on Thursday nights. I had to use my vertical a week or so ago. Compared to the shortened dipole I normally use, the stations in a 100 mile radius were down about 10 dB. Conversely, the stations several hundred miles away were stronger on the vertical and I could hear stations on both coasts - a bit harder to do with the low dipole.

7. AA0V

Not sure how this will take.
    Z5.jpg

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perfect time for an amplifier!

My rule of thumb has always been "when you can hear them, and they can't hear you...run more power.":eek:

9. N1BHH

N1BHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, if your in a pileup you're going to have hundreds of competing signals. Band conditions haven't been the best, although 10, 12, 15 and 17 have been very active, loaded with signals, both near and far. Adding radials will help out and they don't need to be 130 feet long. Even if you find a 1000 foot roll of #22 on ebay, make a bunch of radials for 40 and 80, doesn't take a lot, just poke them into the ground or use lawn staples to keep them out of the way of you mower blade and have fun.

10. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to work "closer-in," add a DIY low-flying 40 or 80-meter dipole to your antenna collection, maybe an NVIS for really "close-in." Cheap and easy to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.