ad: elecraft

Zerofive 57ft Vertical Heavy duty build and how does it perform?10-80

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KZ4USA, Nov 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how that antenna performs if anyone has one in use on the air performance?
    Will it tune 10 through 80 I guess with a tuner is needed for some bands?
    I wonder how it compares to other verticals AV-680, HYgain AV 18HT, R-9 and others.

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a zero five flagpole 10- 40m including WARC
    Antenna tuner at the base, quality build and works as it was advertised. Good customer service. I purchased because I've read good things about the verticals. They are expensive IMO.

3. KZ4USA

I guess not many of this model out there?

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This antenna requires a tuner for most, if not all, bands. It is a non-resonant vertical. The ad copy does not have this info in the main body but it is there in the fine print.

This kind of antenna is more suited to 80, 40, and 30m. It is not likely to be useful for DX on 15, 12, or 10m as the angle of radiation will be annoyingly high on those bands. This is because the antenna approaches a full wave on 20m, and more than a wave on 15. When a radiator approaches a full wave in length, the radiation comes more and more off the end of the antenna and less and less off the broadside.

In other words, on the shorter waves, your signal will go almost straight up. This is why Zero-five specifies a range of 80-20m for this antenna.

I remember years ago a local ham, who did not understand radiation patterns, somehow or another got permission to load up a 2000' teevee broadcast tower for HF. He anticipated having the biggest signal on the band and when he tried it on 40m he could not understand why he couldn't hear anything and no one could hear him. (I could just barely hear him but he couldn't hear me.) Someone finally heard him well enough to work him and tell him his signal was going almost straight up. He was soooo disappointed...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    KD6RF, AK5B, KE0EYJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. KZ4USA

You explain it very well and I under stand now. Have you ever seen the Gap Voyager DX it seems to be good for 160, 80, 40, 20
    I was watching this guy using one on 160 and also a loop for the 40 meters and also on 160 and plus a loop on 160

Im looking for a real good vertical and its hard to find one for all the bands. The Voyager DX might be good for what it covers and then
    use another one for the other bands I guess. 15 and up are not doing that great right now but 15 does open up some and I do like 30 meters to some times.. Maybe just put up some fandipoles for the 6, 10, 15,17 and 30 meter bands and use a Voyager DX along with a 554ft horizontal loop I was going to put up for 160. I have the room on my acres. For DX the vertical will do better on the low bands.

6. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A trap vertical is a DX magnet when installed correctly, and it does not require
    a tuner, unless you skip the part about radials, and then they do not work.

My HF antenna farm is one ground mounted 4BTV modified with an 80 meter
    kit, and the W2FMI extended vertical mod. I have over 144 radials on the ground.
    You will be told that you can't make local contacts with a vertical, due to the low
    angle of radiation, but I do OK, when local ops are on, and propagation is right.

If you desire a simple to operate antenna that can cover many bands and be tuner
    free, you will do well with a vertical.

You can always back up the vertical with other antennas, but after many years and
    antennas, all I use now is my vertical.

N1VAU likes this.
  7. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it's a good vertical. It's just designed primarily for the lower bands. If you plan to spend more time working the higher bands you might want to consider the 43' model.

I have the 43' ZeroFive ground plane version and hope to have it on the air within the next week or so. The antenna was an easy install but, there was a lot of other work that comes with setting up a new shack.

I picked up an second vertical at a recent Hamfest. It's a DX Engineering 43' and it's not nearly as robust as the ZeroFive.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I talk to ZL3ET all of the time, from Korea, and he's got a nice Zero-Five vertical. If memory serves, his is the 33' version. Not sure if it's remote tuner, or Unun, but I think he has the Unun version. I know he has the raised radial addition for it. He says you need to be careful to use the correct recommended length of coax they suggest, as that apparently makes a difference for him.

He loves his Zero-Five.

With that said, I would just as well have a Hustler HB model, and proper radials. I'd have to think that a properly set-up trapped vertical would be better, on higher bands (as mentioned). I cannot run verticals here in Seoul, due to noise, but I would probably buy one of the Husters, if I were purchasing. The reason is, they're a proven design that's not difficult to assemble, and lasts a long time. Durability is very important, and these antennas have been popular (and still standing) for years.

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got the UNUN version with the tuner at the shack. There will be some line loss but, it shouldn't be off the off the charts with 110' of LMR-400. I will likely remove the UNUN and install a remote tuner at some point.

Since verticals are prone to static charges it's a good idea to ground the antenna and control lines when not in use.

10. KZ4USA

Iwonder what the extra 10feet to the 100ft is for. It has to be that close.