ad: vanity

ZeroFive 43GP 43' 10-80 Vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KV4ZL, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KV4ZL

KV4ZL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Everyone! Due to my property limitations and no trees, I'm seriously thinking about putting up a ZeroFive 43GP 43' 10-80 Raised Ground Plane Vertical. Does anybody out there have any experience with this model?

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope...

His products appear to be well-made though.

As for typical anecdotal performance information, I just don't know. Perhaps others with experience surrounding a 43' multi-bander can speak up.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd rather have a good multi-band vertical with traps, to take advantage of a reasonably good impedance match and low angle of radiation on all the bands and not just a few of them.

But if I wanted a killer antenna for 60 meters (and only 60 meters), that one would be a terrific choice and wouldn't even need a matching device; it's resonant right there. On 30m (a great DX band I use quite a bit) it's a terrible length and a terrible match, even with the unun. All depends what you want to do.

4. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 43ft version that sits on the ground over a radial field on the ground. I have about 1600sq ft of wire mesh under it and also copper wire radials as well. It works OK but at the same site I also have a Mosley TA-54, which trounces on the vertical antenna. I rarely use the vertical.

What I do absolutely love about it is its strength. It is an install-and-forget antenna. I may just build some matching at the base of it and use it on the low bands. Maybe I'll even get some more aluminum and make it a little taller. The Mosley covers 20-6; if I can get 80/40/30 on the ZF, it's worth having.

5. WB2WIK

The Zero-Five works exactly the same as a 43' piece of vertical wire fed at the base; the beauty of its design is its mechanical strength, which is obviously excellent.

It should work well on 40 with the unun. Problem is its feedpoint Z on 30m is a couple thousand Ohms, and the unun still makes for a bad mismatch on 30. On 80, it's kind of short so if I was serious about using it on 80m, I'd add a relay-switched loading coil in series with it (and switch out the coil on the other bands).

I've never used the "GP" (elevated ground plane) model, and haven't even seen one. But I have used the ground-mounted model with radials. It stinks on the higher bands (10-12-15m) for DX, takeoff angle is too high. On 20, not bad. On 60, it absolutely shines. The "big signals" on 60m are often coming from those.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

No experience either but it is one of several 43' verticals on the market that dont work well at all on all the bands claimed.

QST had an article on those awhile ago....not very favorable except for 40M.

What bands do you REALLY want?

Carl

7. WB2WIK

Not just 40m...60m is where they shine and although there's not tons of activity, they sure work well there as a full-sized, resonant 1/4-wave...no matching devices needed, just use it.

I use 60m a little bit, and the "strong signals" there are usually from 43' verticals.

8. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one,and love it,I have over 3500 feet of ground radials,but to help with the match i use an auto tuner at the base which helped out very much.It mostly works better on further out signals on the lower bands compared to my dipoles.I have a 4 element Mosley up about 45 feet,and it maybe within an S unit on DX signals. I was really surprised on how well it performed,but that was after i installed the auto tuner at the base. Good quality antenna,and good customer service. They helped me with a few snags i had. Nice people.

9. KV4ZL

KV4ZL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. Ok I get that the 43GP would work well on 40M-60M. If I added a MFJ-998RT Auto Tuner up on the roof as close as I can get it under the raised ground plane, coil ~10 feet of coax at the feed point as a further coke to assist the matching transformer and install a Top Hat at the top would that help bands: 10-12-15-20-80?

10. WB2WIK

It will never be great on 10-12-15m as it's just too long and has a high radiation angle on those bands. Starts getting better on 20m, and is good on 40m and 60m. The top hat would help a lot on 80m, but will shift the resonant frequency "down" a lot.

How much power are you running? If it's only 100W or so, I'd go with an SGC remote tuner instead of the MFJ (higher quality and very weatherproof). However their tuners (I've had one for many years, it's never failed) are rated 200W and down, I don't think they have any high power models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.