ZeroFive 43 ft. vertical experience?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AC2MM, Jan 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Transmorgified Antenna
    Take the "Magic" 43 ft vertical,
    Substitute #14 THHN wire for the aluminum pipe
    Double it
    Lay it on it's side
    get it up in the trees
    Feed it with 450 Ohm twinlead thru a MFJ974 balanced line tuner
    NOW you have my 20M EDZ but it works fine from 5-18 MHZ with that tuner !

AK5B likes this.
  2. KB6HRT

KB6HRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have one of Tom's Z5 43' vertical, now use it for 160m an it work very well, when I first installed the antenna back in 2009 I put down 3000 feet
    of NR 14 AWG THHN wire as a ground plane, Tom made me a coil that installed at the base, which hooked to the UNUN to give the antenna a little more lanth, using 150' of coax and a full range 10 to 1 tuner could work 160-20m the bands I was interested in working. Some time later Ron Dougless an I did a mod to the 43'vertical antenna, now I will call it a system, adding one of his Screwdriver antenna in series with the 43' vertical, this made the 43' a resident
    antenna system, this gave 2s units more signal on output but brought in more noise on the receiver of course, I then added a My Antennas CMC choke which helped the signal to noise ratio on receive, after a couple of years, called Tom an asked him what others were doing to improve there output on 160m , Tom said try adding 3 30 radiates 3' down from the top of vertical element of the antenna, this has worked quite well because the antenna system now has both a vertical and a horiszonal component which deals with fading issues on transmit and receive quite well I use this antenna system 4 to 5 times a week with very good results where I rag chew on 160m YEAR around...Tom has giving me information freely an help me a great deal and in I my book is a great guy...................kb6hrt

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not have to waste a lot of $$$ on radial wire.

4. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You missed out on all the fun..