ZeroFive 43 ft. vertical experience?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AC2MM, Jan 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't own one but have seen the Zero-Five 43' verticals a few times and IMO its claim to fame is it's so strong it can actually self-support if well installed. That's not easily accomplished with 43' of aluminum tubing standing on end.

Otherwise, 43' of vertical wire supported by a high tree limb and fed at ground level is the same antenna.

It's resonant just above 30m and 15m where it's a very high-Z feedpoint, so a Unun with a ratio of >>9:1 would be more appropriate for those bands. It's about 1/4-WL on 60m where it's a low-Z feedpoint, so a Unun ratio of 1:1 would be much more appropriate on that band. Somewhere around 4:1 or 9:1 is probably a reasonable compromise on some other bands.

If you run any serious power, the Unun needs to be robust! High current where it's current-fed and very high voltages where it's voltage-fed, and a single length antenna used on a lot of bands will have this problem no matter who makes it. A very good "remote" tuner at the base of the antenna may solve a lot of problems but also add quite a lot of expense, especially if high power operation is a goal.

The radial field needs to be as good as you can make it. Where it's nearly voltage-fed, the ground losses will be lower; where it's nearly current-fed, the ground losses will be higher; a good compromise is probably at least sixteen radials ~43' long each, at least as a starting point.

Again, I'd say the "big thing" about the Zero-Five is its mechanical construction: Very nicely done and very robust. But if you can add some lightly tensioned rope guys to the vertical, lesser construction should work fine also.

AK5B likes this.
  2. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a question, what are you looking for?

If you are interested in only low band, 80 and 40 meter operation, this antenna will work when set up with a decent radial field, as will any vertical ground mounted antenna.

If you want higher frequency operation, as others say, the performance will be high angle, and not too good. In that case, I would recommend a band trap vertical, as I have.

Once you decide what type of operation, you can have two choices, ground mounted, or elevated.
    Of the two, many choose ground mounted for ease of installation, but fail to install a good radial field. Elevated requires less radials.

But if you go elevated, then two radials per band can do the job, as long as you can run them out like dipoles... Two radials help cancel out the horizontal radiation of the radials, and it is best to install multiples of two, if you want more than two radials per band, as 4 or more help decouple the vertical from the ground and feedline.

AK5B likes this.
  3. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, Paul, you can see what I have to work with by going to Google Earth Pro, or Google Maps, and typing in my address, which for hams, is no secret.
    47 Barkwood Lane, Spencerport, NY. It's not that small.
    The tiny back yard I came from last year would be 1/8 of what I have now, yet I had a 20M vertical, and a 40M/20M End fed dipole, and both worked great.
    I was also surrounded by power poles and lines, a nightmare. So I had to tear down all my stuff, and moved to my new QTH along with a new wife.

Now, no power lines anywhere, and a good sized back yard (for me ,anyhow). I have Google Earth Pro, and you can take a look at my major issue. A 4 lane highway on the other side of the trees, and 15 ft higher than my back yard. So I'm in a small "hole", but at least the yard is good size. My 80M Sky Loop basically goes around the entire back yard. So elevation is my main problem.
    I do have a 45 ft. fiberglass pole near the shed that used to support a BuckMaster Inverted "V" that didn't work very well, so it was dismantled. (The pole has to be moved, it's in concrete)

So this year, I want to come up with two antennas that will play together well. (I don't want to keep building antennas) My 80M Sky Loop is working, but it will be a problem when I add another antenna in the middle somewhere along with an 800W Amp. So my thought was to put some type of wire antenna facing West / SouthWest, and one vertical.
    The vertical should be able to handle 40 & 20M, and the dipole, hopefully, will handle 80M, and if I pick the right design, maybe a couple others.
    The 80M Skyloop works OK for now, but it's a cloud burner, local work mostly, but the SWR is great for 40 and 20M.

I have a lot of books, among which is the ARRL Wire Antenna Classics, and I see a couple of Inverted "L"s.

It's late, and I'm being "hailed", so I'll take a look at this tomorrow and see what it looks like for me.

Talk to you later, and thank you all for your advice,
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. AC2MM

I went out and bought 2-1/2" and 2-1/4" tubing last year, 20 ft ea, and I need to add only one more length of probably 1-1/2 or 2" to get whatever I need.
    But regardless, just because I have it doesn't mean I'm going to use it.
    Whatever vertical I decide on, it will have a lot of radials. Probably 24 per band , figuring using it for 40M and 20M. I read some feedback on the SteppIR BigIR, for 40M/20M and 80M using their coil design. From what I read, it's not worth the extra bucks.
    So for 80M, I'll probably have a wire antenna of some design that will get me as much of the band as possible. I just have to get it up in the air.
    One side, if you look on Google Earth for my QTH, are tall trees. The other side I'll have to mount my 50Ft fiberglass pole to support that end. An End fed would be great, but not as efficient as a center fed, but that means another pole to support the additional weight of 450 Ohm ladder line, or a balun and coax.

I have to overthink this before Spring, so I have a game plan.

Thanks,
    Robert

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My DXE version has survived multiple 90+mph wind events! Freestanding!

I want to upgrade to the freestanding 68 footer for this sunspot minimum... I have a 21' base tuned(autotuner) for 20-10m anyway so I really only need 160-40m coverage from it. But that $960 price tag hurts!

6. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another plus vote for Zero five antennas. It has done very well in high winds in over 3 years. I had the mfj remote auto tuner at the base of my vertical. Well its mfj,and it made it only 3 years. So now i added 6 foot sections to the vertical,and made it a 1/4 wave on 75m. WOW,let me say.

7. AC2MM

Paul,
    I read the article on the Inverted "L". Nice, single band antenna. It's 1/4 wavelength per side, or 230/1.8 = 127 ft.
    I've got hundred ft tall tree on the sides, but there's no way I can get that high. 80M, yeah, that;s only 60 ft., but how do you support the coax?
    The coax is supposed to attach at the junction of both 1/4 W wires, which is about 60 ft. up, and 60 ft out from the other end. I have no way to support that.
    Oh, well... I'll come up with something for this next year. I'll have some type of dedicated 80M wire antenna, and a 40m/20M vertical.

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can support the coax with a messenger wire but 60' of good coax will self support if properly fastened at the top.

9. K1JWJ

K1JWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 27’ zerofive and need a better antenna tuner (per Tom). Any suggestions for me?

10. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If i add another remote auto tuner it will be LDG RT-600