ad: elecraft

Zerofive 40m Monoband Vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W6UV, Feb 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm looking for opinions on the mechanical strength and durability of the Zerofive monoband 40m vertical.

I plan to ground mount it to a 2" pipe set in concrete and would prefer not to guy it. My location occasionally gets 40-45 MPH winds, but nothing much more than that. How robust is the fold over mount? Thirty three feet of antenna makes a big lever and I'm concerned about bending the mount. Any concerns in this area?

Note: I'm not looking for opinions about its electrical performance. After all, it's just a 33' piece of aluminum that'll perform like any other piece of 33' tubing or wire.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, they "say" in the instructions...

"This vertical is freestanding so no guys are normally needed in most areas. If the antenna is subjected to constant high winds you should consider guying it however. At least one set of guys are appropriate in areas where the winds are consistently above 60 miles per hour or under conditions of repeated ice loading. It is recommended when very high winds and storms threaten the vertical be folded down for safety if no guys are used."

I'd take his word for it, you probably do not need to guy it.

3. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

My roof mounted 33 ft Zero Five vertical has seen at least 70 mph gusts including the big nor’easter we just had. It danced and bent. At times it was almost bent 90 degrees! It’s still standing straight up still. Just like always.

I only live a couple of miles from open ocean. We get some real storms here. The antennas are very well constructed.

Ed

4. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have there 43 foot vertical with no guys and its been through some 55 mph winds with no trouble.