zero

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ND5Y, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just be aware that the ASCII number (which is what the puter uses) is different for an OH and a slash, the slash being a SYMBOL and not a digit. Matters when you want to do a search. One will not find the other.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, obviously you're the only one.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about the confusion beteen a handwritten number one (1) and a lower case L (l) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was once instructed to write my ones with a bottom seriph attached, to resemble an inverted T, for clarity .
    Handwritten messages are certainly to be handled differently than typewritten or printed ones.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall that there were typewriters that had only capital letters, used for copying morse traffic, called "mills", mainly in the millitary ! :D
    Morse Code has no upper and lower case letters !

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure hope not.

Haven't gotten my DXCC on 2M yet. May be awhile.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do it because it is very disturbing when a newbie calls me 'K Oh RGR'. The slash doesn't always work either, which is the fault of our educational system, I think. Slashes on 7's and Zeds don't bother me, either - see it all the time. The slash is usually the only way to tell the difference between a one and a seven when written or printed by someone outside the USA.

7. WA9LB

WA9LB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ø isn't O
    That was made very clear to me by my Amateur mentors.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the "ONE" (1), those dummy's across the pond write a "1" so as to be confused with a "7" therefore the "slash" in the seven. The "Z" can be confused with the "2", therefore the "slash" in the "ZED". The "ZERO" can easily be confused with the "O", therefore the "slash". 0TOH, wait 'till ya get older & need "reading" glasses AND a "magnifying" glass to tell the difference between a "O" & a "0":rolleyes: My ex-wif0id 0nce "slashed" my tyres !! but that's an0ther stOry:p

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

No...the true LID is the one who types an O (oh) for a 0 (zero) or vice-versa.

10. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Having the US Navy in your backyard will do that, Pat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.