zero

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ND5Y, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this really the most important thing you have to worry about? Cuz I have a lot of stuff I could off-load...

2. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, exactly.

3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You should use the "/" on your wrist since this "-" is a dash, not a slash! Remember, slash up, NOT across!

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That was always my understanding that it had some background in scientific writing etc.

Don't see it causing the end of the world any time soon.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  5. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When combined witha slashed 7, it symbolizes the quartering of the universe into active and passive elements.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just set the font you use for callsigns to one that automatically uses a "slash zero" and you have no worries.

I like Monaco. There are others.

Next!

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No. I'm not worried or upset about it and like I said before I understand why it is done when writing by hand and that certain fonts have a zero with a slash or dot in the middle.

I just wanted to see what kind of responses I would get. I am just curious as to why it seems that it is only a few American hams that don't use the proper ASCII character for zero. I have never seen this anywhere else on the internet or in any documents that were written on a computer.

8. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that this one is answered, why the slash in a 7?

9. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lid is a poor operator. I'd also like to include people who get upset over trivial things but that isn't my call.

Please consider this. Some OMs may not have the eyesight that you do. Putting the slash in the zero might help them out a bit. As a computer guy, I would get a little irked (unlike you, I kept it to myself) about OMs who would type in all caps until somebody explained it to me that it makes it easier for them to read the type.

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Now if we could just get media types to understand that URIs do not contain back slashes!

As for fonts, I try to choose one that at at least puts a dot inside the oval of the zero and use ASCII 0 in all places where a zero is required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.