zero

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ND5Y, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Printed 1's in parts of Europe tend to look like scripted l's. I have always "slashed" my 0's and Z's and usually get stupid comments like "why would anyone do that?" Never slashed a 7 though.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of kids in elementary school in my area of Western Washington (and probably many other places) who slash their 7s and Zs (zeds). Out of curiosity I've asked a few of them where they picked up this and it's always been the mother (generally Asian) who learned it that way in school. Checking some of the letters I've received from hams in Japan, for example, most of them slash the 7s and Zs routinely, and the zeroes as well.

3. K7BRY

K7BRY Ham Member QRZ Page

As Zero Mostel sang in Fiddler On the Roof: "Tradition!"

But seriously, I thought it was a thing that was traditionally done to differentiate a letter O from a zero.

If you think it through, it makes much more sense if you are holding a pencil and writing on paper than if you are staring at a computer keyboard.

4. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of the two fonts below which are zero's and which are capital O's? Without changing the font you can't tell.
    This is why some people choose to slash their zero's. Some do it because they it's a cultural thing and others do it purely to irritate other people ;)
    1O01

5. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably not. Enjoy being a minority of 1 (without the slash).

When I was learning Fortran programming in the early 70s we slashed the letter O on coding forms to make sure we didn't confuse it with zero when we went to keypunch a Hollerith deck. This was kind of confusing for me as a ham since I had learned to copy code by the block-printing method wherein the zero was slashed.

When I was learning to type on an Underwood manual typewriter in seventh grade we routinely used a lowercase "L" for one. When manual typewriters started to have keys for the numeral one it took a little getting used to. Many older secretaries really had problems when everything went to computer terminals because they still wanted to use the lowercase "L" for one. But, eventually we learned to do it the "modern" way.

Insofar as the slashed-zero goes...

Really, who gives a damn?

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about slashing my wrists now since I wasted valuable time reading this thread. Should I use a / or a - ?

7. KK6DCT

KK6DCT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty common with people with a Comp Sci background to slash 0's to easily differentiate 0's from O's... although it's normally only done when writing by hand, not with a font when typing... although I can see that has the same benefit. I've never though about using a font that has a slashed 0 although I always slash a zero when writing by hand.

Being from the UK I also slash a 7 horizontally across the middle. Never really wondered why until I read this thread so I guess it's to differentiate a 7 from a handwritten 1 ... although I've never consciously thought about the reason why, I just always have :)

8. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow!

Pencil or keyboard font, there's no harm in slashing zeros, sevens, and zeds. The practice has origins in Europe and in Asia, and has proliferated in military comm protocol to avoid error.

There's also no harm in ignorance; that can be fixed.

The harm I see is comes from calling other folks names, after you've already professed ignorance.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned to slash Zeros from both ham radio and micro computers in the 1970's. I picked up slashing Z and 7, sevens from Spanish classes at the same time. Teletypes terminals for the computers had slashed Zeros, the military slashed Zeros all the time I was active.

Makes perfect sense, and I haven't forgiven Bill Gates and IBM from removing slashed Zeros from normal PC fonts!!!!

10. KE4YOG

KE4YOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I slash my "7" and some times zeds but not "0s". Learned it in French class and also college from Geography prof and others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.