zero

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ND5Y, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Would somebody explain to me why some hams insist on using the Scandinavian letter Ø instead of the number 0?

2. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Because when you write it down (or print via computer, etc), it's difficult to tell the difference between a zero and the letter "O"

3. VE1AUC

VE1AUC Guest

Most likely so it is not confused or interpreted as an "O" (oh).

4. AJ4CU

AJ4CU Ham Member QRZ Page

I do this regularly, I thought it was common practice to distinguish between the letter and number...hmmm

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not talking about writing down a zero with a slash on paper. I understand that. I'm talking about computer fonts.
    Am I the only person that can tell the difference between O and 0? How come every font that I have seen has O and 0 that look different?
    Does anybody else think that hams that use Ø are lids?

6. KJ6LFD

KJ6LFD Ham Member QRZ Page

It was common practice when I was in the (U.S.) Navy.
    Also common practice in engineering places I have worked.

7. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. I have much bigger crap to worry about.

Might I recommend decaf?

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good grief... there is no end to inane QRZ threads it seems.

"Oh Zero"

Dave W7UUU

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The lids are the ones who make their computer font 0 not have a slash. These days, I guess we get to blame the operating system provider...? There once was a time when a 0 on a computer always had a slash, because you couldn't backspace and type a / over the O. Of course, no one even remembers the days when it was perfectly normal to type ten like lO.

It's really neat :p when you're using a browser than doesn't decode those silly uni-code things and you end up with a blank square everywhere that someone typed one of those foreign slashed o's.

10. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashed_zero

I do the same thing with 7 when I'm writing down numbers. No idea where I got it from, but I bet it was from another ham. :)

"The number 7 with a horizontal line through the middle (looking from top to bottom) is known as a 'continental 7'. Meaning it is widely used on the EUROPEAN continent. The reason for the line is to distinguish between '1' and '7' because continental european countries add a similar looking 'top part' to the number '1' (INDEED much like how it actually appears here) Not all of Europe widely uses this type, the UK for example uses this '7' much more commonly."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.