Zero Sunspots

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Look its the Sunspot Cycle, It haves its ups and downs. We are at the low right now but 20M down to 160M still work OK 15 and 10M are quiet and 11M CB is good for Local Contacts now, it's intended service. in two or three years 10M will be kicking again. Live with it it's just Nature.
    Rick KC2ESD

2. AF2CW

AF2CW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

For convenience we call it an eleven year sunspot cycle, but in fact it is a twenty two year cycle. That is because the sunspots of the new cycle have their magnetic polarity reversed relative to the spots of the previous cycle. Normally the first sunspots of the new cycle will appear in high solar latitudes whilst there are sunspots of the old cycle still appearing in low solar latitudes, so the sunspot cycles overlap.

As far as I know (I might be wrong) no sunspots of the new cycle have appeared yet so we still have some way to go to minimum. Incidentally, I have seen predictions that the next sunspot cycle will be poorer than the current one.....let's hope their crystal ball is cracked!

Coronal holes add to the interest; there is one pointing our way right now and the particle stream from it should impact the ionosphere tomorrow.

Brian G8ADD

4. w8cbc

w8cbc Guest

I'm given to understand that we have already had one or two Cycle 24 regions appear. I'm not certain of it though. I wish I could remember the source. A new cycle's sunspot regions can appear a ways before the minimum but it at least suggests that we'll be getting there shortly.

My hope is that we don't have several years of nearly quiet sun the way we did between cycles 22 and 23 (1995-7, solar flux into the 60s all three summers). If we do, well, we're right at the start of them. The shorter wavelengths are doubtless going to be spare this summer whatever the case.

BTW. Northern summer coincides with apastron. We're furthest away from the sun then and we do get a few percent less in the way of radiation from it thereby as we subtend a smaller angle in relation to the source. Check SEC to see the effects. 1995-1997's solar indices will show it clearest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.