Zero Sunspots

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Just prattling ... I've been watching HFRadio_Org

Zero sunspots all week! Doesn't go much lower than zero. Definitely headed toward the end of the cycle - still probably a year or so away.

Anyone want to start a pool to guess when will be the next time we'll see Solar Flux over 100? (I volunteer to hold the money)

For someone who licensed and got on HF in late 2002, just post-peak, and now this, it's an amazing change. 40 meters now sounds like 20 or 15 meters did 3 years ago! Keeps things interesting.

2. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

It gets to be trying at times but there's plenty of activity on the lower freqs at night it you can go there. But oh hell ya - I miss not having 10 through 20 sizzling whenever I feel like firing the up the station.

I can tellya this: a solar minimum makes me appreciate a solar maximum.

WA5KRP
    Texas

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I've noticed the foreign broadcasters coming in before sunset, even. Definately 40 is gettiing longer and longer, it would seem. I also hear ZL stations during the afternoon at times! Man oh man, what a hoot !

73, Jim

4. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thing is that A&K = 0 too.

and with ssn=0, two days ago, I still could come in the W6 with 57-58 with only 100w on 20m. So enjoy while it is low, because I cannot imagine how many lids we will bare when the bands are crowded. [​IMG]

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Yes indeed, the Europeans are blasting in here at 130pm now. Having battled Radio Moscow in the 40m Novice band for 11 months makes me never want to hear foreign BC again.

At least they're honestly coming from Europe now, not from suburban Havana.

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I really miss 10M.

Back in the early 90's I bought an HR2510 and an HR2600; one or the other could usually be found in my car. My favorite antenna was a 1/4w bumper-mount fiberglass whip. With that setup I literally worked the world.

Just got those rigs back "online" this evening and am going to put one or both in my truck. Perhaps I'll catch some Es openings while travelling to/from work.

7. w8cbc

w8cbc Guest

More and more I regret not having carried through and got licenced in 1988 when I learned Morse code the first time. As a SWL, I could hear that cycle 22 was HOT. It's the only time I've heard crowding in 11-metre broadcast. There had to be 6-metre F2 propagation from time to time. As a Tech I would've had a blast.

My hope is that cycle 24 won't be as wimpy as 23 was.

Say, what's the record for daily 10.7 cm solar flux? I recall a value of 367 once during cycle 22. 1991, I think, during its second peak.

8. K7ALY

K7ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

Methinks I should've upgraded a while ago...

9. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Take your time. It's never too late, right?

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this mean we're going to have negative sunspot numbers in a year? [​IMG]

eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.