Zero-ohm Resistors

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KA0AAM

KA0AAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about those either. .. All of those resistors that are less than 10 ohms . . less than 2 ohms. . .Why? We are talking about a 1/2 watt 2 ohm resistor, or 1 ohm resistor. . .stupidity to its finest. . . I guess you can use them for shunting a meter of some kind. . . maybe voltage dividing? Oh well. .. I guess I am still back in the tube ages. . .

3. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing new - they are used instead of jumpers, but for machinery populating surface mounted devices they are easier to manage.

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Zero ohm resistors make lots of sense. Just consider them to be a jumper and you get the idea. Pick and place machines can place a zero ohm resistor when needed whereas a wire jumper takes more effort.

5. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

sure
    but to really get them down to zero Ohm
    you need to get them very very cold

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

All our equipment uses Zero ohm resisitors! All the time. Especially when it determines options. In the FT-857D, Zero ohm resistors select the band options; and removing/adding them determine the frequency coverage.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, just offset your ohmmeter a tad.

But be sure it doesn't go negative, or look out for that mushroom cloud.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

They can help equalize current where there are more than one transistor in a stage.

9. NA5Z

NA5Z Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all about options. I used them in board designs either as a placeholder for components I might need to add later or as a boot-up strapping option.

I'd mostly use them in places where I might want the ability to add filter orders to a PCB later (remove the zero's, add L's or C's). Also to change paths, like one instance where I needed the ability to depopulate a gain block and add the jumper chip to route RF around where the amp used to be.

They basically give you flexibility on a PCB that you may not be able to change later. The funny thing is, they always got designed in with the intent to remove them later, but schedules being what they were, they rarely got deleted.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When our middle daughter was about six, she had a plate of cookies. I asked her if i could have a cookie, and she handed me one. I said, "You know how I hate odd numbers." She took her cookie back and said, "Zero is an even number, too!"

Now you know.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.