Zero Five antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9K, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used the 33' version for several years, with only two elevated radials. It worked like a champ, and withstood some crazy Oklahoma thunderstorm winds. I sold it to a friend who is now using it ground-mounted, and he has made hundreds of contacts with it over the last couple of years. ZF makes some really nice antennas, well-constructed and durable.

2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd stick with resonant vertical antennas such as the single-band quarter-wave, the trapped Hustlers, and possibly the Zero-Five (ZF) 5/8th wave models for 17, 20 and 10 meters (these employ base matching).

Here's the reason why: I do not want to subject coaxial cable runs to the high voltages found associated with the higher VSWR measurements of the 43-foot vertical antenna system and "matching" un-un transformer. I run higher power (1000 to 1200 Watts at times), and would not like to subject buried coax to that. Secondly, the radiation angles on the higher bands 15/12/10M are poor at best -- not conducive to DX'ing. Though, the higher radiation angles on these higher bands might lend themselves to short stateside prop. Moreover, I've wondered about the efficiency of the 43-foot antenna's matching un-un transformer, to include their dissipated heat handling capabilities. Again, QRO operations would concern me -- especially heavy-duty contesting.

I've run a simplistic Hustler 4-BTV with 30 radials under it for over a decade, and have subjected it to high power for several contest periods. Since it presents a good match on the bands of interest, I have not have to worry about the antenna system whatsoever (an antenna system consists of the antenna, transmission line and any matching networks).

The Hustler BTV series are as old as dirt and are highly regarded. They plainly work, though require many radials to radiate efficiently, especially if ground mounted. Elevated or roof-top mounting requires far fewer radials -- on the order of 2 to 4 per resonant band and are slightly longer than a quarter-wave. Refer to the BTV manual for instructions, or to DX Engineering's great installation guide (pdf file) on the series.

Personally, someday I'd like to try a ZF 17M or 20M 5/8th wave antenna, or one of their lower-band quarter-waves for 40 or 75/80 meters. For 40 or 75, it would be nice to phase 2 or more. That's where my interests lie with ZF.

Good luck with your decision. Remember, if mounted near the ground, all of the discussed require many radials to radiate with reasonable efficiency. 73.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Zero 5 has high quality products. Very expensive considering performance. Better options are out there.

4. W8DDS

W8DDS Ham Member QRZ Page

And your results were?

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I now own a Zero Five flagpole. Good service and quality product.
    8 years ago I had a 5BTV and as others have said, radials are the key. I'd suggest the 6BTV. Set it up with a tip base, use an antenna analyzer to dial it in, and enjoy.
    I know I'd probably put one up if I hadn't decided to go the flagpole route. It been half the cost and no need for a remote tuner.

6. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page