zero day vulnerability

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD8JFO, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense. Malware has been injected into the scripts that serve advertising on many well known sites.

2. KA8NCR

The point that the source is available makes it less secure? Interesting. Please enumerate your concerns.

3. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

did you read the part about a stroke?

4. KA8NCR

All I'm asking is that you detail your concerns. Obviously, you have some legitimate concerns and I think it would be a disservice to those who read the forums for you not to share them.

5. N0SYA

you have read my specific concerns, I have stated them above in several posts

6. KA8NCR

Yes, and others have stated quite eloquently that your concerns are unfounded. And yet you persist in asserting that Linux is subject to kernel vulnerabilities.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  7. KD7EIR

KD7EIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, THAT IS THE GREATEST LAUGH THAT I HAVE HAD IN YEARS!

Saying it isn't so does not make it true - there are vulnerabilities that have affected ALL kernel versions from 2.4 to 2.6, meaning ANY kernel from May 2001 forward!
    One example of this is the sock_sendpage exploit. EVERY kernel from from May 2001 forward was affected by this.

Want more? Just ask! I can fill this thread will THOUSANDS of examples of kernel vulnerabilites that span all distributions, all kernel versions.

For all of you "linux is totally bulletproof because of various kernels" adherents, perhaps a reminder that DNS is DNS is DNS regardless of kernel will work as a further example.

One way to cripple the internet is through DNS. ARP poisoning, cache poisoning (DNS spoofing), etc. It's happened before, it will happen again. SO FAR, it has not been able to migrate to ALL the root servers, but IT COULD.

8. KA8NCR

Taken as that single quote, it is laughable. And not entirely what I meant in the progression of the thread where the writer was hammering that somehow, having the source code exposed is a problem.

Nevertheless, is this a result of the source code being published or not? I don't think it makes a bit of a difference.

9. N0SYA

you did much better at making my point than i ever could, thanks

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you really THAT naive?
    Even the Los Angeles Times in the past has spread a virus until it was detcted and eliminated. (Then again, you may well coneider THAT obscene material.)
    If proper precautiuons are NOT taken, ANY site can be vulnerable to inadvertently spreading malware or viri.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.