Zero Beat -off frequency

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KD2RON, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From a post titled "Zero Beat-Off Frequency", I was expecting a different topic . :confused:

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You can lock to a primary frequency standard and be pretty darned sure of your frequency... and still have to zero-beat the station you're calling. ;)
    I didn't know you're a musician. :p:rolleyes:

3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HAHAHAHA i see what you did there :)

N2SUB likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

XYL saw topic and had an immediate laugh too....

N2SUB likes this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

CW Zero Beat, What's That ?:confused:
    My feeling is; With so many bells and whistles on the new rigs the newbie ops just don't know how to use them properly. The books for operating are as thick as an old city fone directory and the new owners just want to get right on the air without studying for a week.
    RIT ? XIT? what is that ? Those knobs I twist around and don't see any effect, If I am calling CQ, and U Call me 1.5 - 2 KHz off and I just can't hear you with my filter set narrow on a noisy band like 80M !
    You have the RIT or XIT or Clarifier set off somewhere and don't even know it. :eek:
    Maybe there is a menu setting with offsets and you don't know about it?,
    Just setting the tuning knob to a nice sounding note with the wideband filters open? u never can get on my freq like that.
    Learn how the rig works and how to match freqs with a station you want to call !!!!
    I really want to have a QSO with you , but you have to get on my freq and let me hear you calling :D

6. N8AFT

My rocks aren't accurate...

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

On AM, everyone sounds good whether zero beat or +/-
    But sometimes you can "save" those times when two stations key up and start talking at once; if they're close to zero you can pick out what both are saying.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Really ! :eek:Install a padder capacitor in the osc circuit and warp the Xtals back to what the old label says !

9. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

So, "rubbering" a crystal is a term that has been lost to antiquity ?

10. N8AFT

I've been told by some (including an xtal supplier) that it doesn't really work well, so I have not.