ad: Amateur-1

Zero 5 vertical....

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB4MNG, Jul 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Been looking around at different verticals and come across zero 5. They seem to be of very high quality and their price reflects that.

The one of interest is the 10-160 mtr 41 foot vertical. I see a tuner is required. Is this basically a 43 ft element that you load up with a tuner? If so, I maybe able to come up with something myself and save about $350.

http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/pr...ldover-freestanding-vertical-antenna-5kw-unun

2. G0VKT

G0VKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Basically a 43' vertical with a tuner at the base. You could build for a lot less.

Why 43'? A compromise length that gives a Z range that is will allow a tuner to match it from 80-10m. While at the same time high enough to reduce ground losses. It will still need a radial field of some type.

Paul

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Please realize that those 43-foot verticals are no "all-band panacea" as the bands above 40M radiate at high angles---not so hot if your aim is to work dx.

Seldom, if ever a free lunch when it comes to multiband antennas.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Info on the 43 Ft vert...AGAIN and again !

Lot of $$$ for a piece of pipe !!!!!! :eek:

43 Ft is a magic length for 20M, it's 5/8 wavelength, the longest length that produces a strong low angle launch .
    This length has nothing to do with feedpoint X and Z, it is UNDERSTOOD you will need a tuner at the base.

On higher freq bands it wastes energy at high angles that do not refract back from the ionosphere.
    If you want to try 60M, it is great, close to a 1/4 wave.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    KK5JY and AK5B like this.
  5. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah:cool:

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom Leakakos, N9ZV (Bloomingdale, IL) is the owner of Zero-Five Antennas,
    which has been in business at least 15 years -- in southwest Chicago suburbs.
    http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/

eHam.net Product Reviews
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4604

His design approach (oil-impegnated nylon or Delrin insulators) is similar to Penninger Radio, (formerly West Chicago) -- now in Wilder, Tennessee, who also started business 15 years ago.
    https://www.penningerradio.com/
    Charles designed and built this solutions for durability/reliability (Mosley like) ... required by First Responders / Homeland Security after 2001 that were customers.

His "Tipper" design was the result of watching the Fox Valley Radio Club try to setup Field Day antennas. Many newly licensed radio amateurs with no nautical (Navy veterans) or rigging (construction, farming/ranching) experience.
    Reviews
    https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4373
    ===
    Antenna Manufacturers began "chasing" 33 and 43 foot vertical designs, as the new Millennial radio amateurs (licensed since 2000) lived on small urban/suburban lots (some with HOA restrictions) that ruled out traditional dipoles and antenna towers.

Jeff, NH7RO is absolutely correct -- Too many non-techs (in a technical hobby), continue to seek Easy Solutions (don't think, hate tech) ... the G5RV antenna also fits that category.

Get a Good Antenna Tuner (Manual or Automated) and
    you can match a variety of Radiators (with different patterns).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    KK5JY and AK5B like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only advantage to the Zero-5 43' vertical as opposed to 43' of vertical wire hung from a tree branch with radials under it is the Zero-5 is made of very strong materials and the darned thing can self-support (no guys) if well anchored (pipe in concrete) at its base. There are much less expensive 43' verticals but from what I've seen, the others can't do that as they're simply not strong enough.

If you don't mind using lightweight rope guys on a vertical, you can build something similar from thinwall aluminum tubing and it will work the same; but remember the guy lines!

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a zero-five in my yard, with elevated radials for several years. I sold it to a local ham and he has continued to use it in his yard, with ground-mounted radials. The antenna survived dozens of high-wind events, with no issues or even distortion. It is very well built and durable. The insulator in the base shows no signs of UV deterioration, even after seven years of continuous exposure. Compare that to many of the components on my hexbeam, which was destroyed by UV after only four years. The ZeroFive stuff is solid.

That said, what was mentioned above is absolutely true -- the 43' antennas, no matter how you match them to the feedline, are only good for 20m and longer wavelengths. At wavelengths shorter than 20m, the energy goes up at high angles, making the antenna weak for those bands. Use it for the bands where it is good. If you want the high bands too, put up a second, shorter vertical for that.