ad: portazero-1

Zenneck Waves - I am having a hard time understanding this tech

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7FZ, Feb 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, cold fusion, yeah, that's it........

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cold fusion was a failure. But I'm working on lukewarm fusion.

KA4DPO, K8MHZ and AC0TP like this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a hot topic...

N0TZU and KA4DPO like this.
  4. WA9SVD

Undoubtedly, with several servings of Jack Daniels, although Jim Beam will do in a pinch. YMMV.

5. WA9SVD

That's good! Especially the gasses from Washington!:(

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Zenneck waves were covered on the tech test.

Pretty sure.

7. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They'd better keep them off my lawn! :mad:

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And....at the rate gas is being generated we will soon be the largest planet in our solar system....assuming it is not suddenly released...then.. Phhhht we'll be gone!

9. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

A non facetious source of some (non-technical) information on actual demonstrated applications of Zennick waves, from 2013:
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...-the-return-of-teslas-surface-waves-15322250/

A few things to note:
    - in this application, they are described as 'not interfering with other electronics' and avoiding 'frequency licensing issues' - similar claims to those listed by the OP, but in this context, these make some sense as the waves are effectively trapped along the surface of dielectric-coated conductor.

- this is however almost completely unlike claiming transmission along the surface of the Earth. To a first approximation, it seems the 'work' cited by the OP consists of people taking a real effect, and then wildly blowing it out of scale and applicability while assuming the technical jargon will awe investors.

10. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to recall that it was under well 50%. 25% or so? Off to Google...

From <https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywis...power-transmission-for-spacebased-solar-farms> they are aiming for 21% efficiency. From other sources it appears that efficiencies of above 75% is possible but those systems do not appear to scale to high power very well.

As to weapons capability it is still really not ready for prime time. A lot of power and well focused compared to a HF beam (see, keeping it slightly on topic!) but by the time it reaches ground it is still covering a very large area. Receiver size is measured in square miles.