Zenneck Waves - I am having a hard time understanding this tech

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7FZ, Feb 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I only found out about this stuff recently. A company, Texzon, is planning to use this for wireless power transfer.

Their website states: "A Zenneck Surface Wave is an electromagnetic wave that uses the surface of the earth as a waveguide enabling it to carry communications signals or electrical power efficiently over long distances."

And then it says: "The wave is impervious to weather effects such as lightning or geomagnetic disturbance or electromagnetic pulses (EMP), including those associated with a nuclear detonation."

HuH???

Texzon : http://www.texzontechnologies.com/technology/

There are even some studies that included tests at 52Mhz. http://www.texzontechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/TEXZON_Baylor_Corum16.pdf

I also saw references that say it does not interfere or receive interference from regular radio waves.

Supposedly it does not require a license to use it as conventional radio.
    The math on a couple of websites went over my head in the first few paragraphs.
    Anyone out there got a handle on this stuff? And how to use it? Will it change the face of ham communication? How to build a station?
    The more I read about it, the more my head hurts. Same as when I try to understand magnets. Hi!
    Steve KL7FZ

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. KL7FZ

It screwed me up so bad I couldn't even get the heading of the topic correct when I first posted!!
    It really has had me totally confused for the last day. I can't seem to do anything correct.
    I may have to start drinking again!

3. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

A Sommerfeld-Zenneck surface wave is an inhomogeneous or non-uniform electromagnetic plane wave incident at the complex Brewster angle onto a planar or spherical boundary interface between two homogeneous media having different dielectric constants.

What's the problem?

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, "Z-waves" for power. You just need to get a pair of Z-glasses so you can see them and make the electrical connection (Z-solder not included)!
    Zglasses.jpg

KE5OFJ and KB2SMS like this.
  5. KL7FZ

Yep. Just spilled a large wave of coffee from my Mr. Coffee Brewster at the wrong angle. Now I have three boundaries to work with. The coffee. My pants. And my skin. And the heat/wetness seems to be propagating quite well. Good thing I was wearing non-uniform pants.
    Thanks for enlightening me. I understand perfectly now. Calling CQ now to see who answers. I wonder when the ARRL will start offering awards for accomplishments using Zenneck waves.
    You know..this might be the answer for the Brendan Trophies. Easy propagation across the pond.
    Naw..They require normal modes.

6. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am pretty sure it uses unilateral phase detractors and a lunar waneshaft to achieve this. Easy peasy.

WU8Y, K7TRF and NL7W like this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They found some Tesla papers

KM1H and NL7W like this.
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like they resurrected Tesla...

NL7W and N7ZAL like this.
  9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I still want to know how/who will they charge for the power.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

NL7W and KK5JY like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A link to wikipedia might have been simpler, and included references, as well. :)