Zenith Transoceanic

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Mikey "Likes It" States, my buddy who flips electronics stuff on E-bay had me fix a Zenith 1000D, the first solid state model Transoceanic, ca. 1961. Once I spritzed the bandswitch tumbler, it came to life and I was AMAZED at the performance of the thing. They had a well-deserved reputation.

What amazed me most is that there are only about7 transistors in the thing and they're all GERMANIUM! It's impressive the kind of engineering they did with some pretty mediocre materials. It took quite a lot of care to design these so they didn't go into thermal runaway and such...not to mention getting ANY kind of power out of those germanium cans.

Zenith also owned Central Electronics for a while. Quite a company...and quite an end of a great electronics era.

Eric

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandfather had that one.
    I loved that radio..
    no BFO except for an option which he had and after moving to Oregon had it installed.
    Had the Wave magnet that made that radio into a formidable AM BCB DX radio.
    But it was nothing compared to hooking that radio up to the 450' longwire, That brought that radio Alive. :)

3. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps you refer to Zenith's corporate raid of Heathkit to get their computers? Zenith bleed them dry and then unceremoniously tossed the lifeless corpse on the trash heap.

Or perhaps not.

I sure loved those Transoceanics though. I was only familiar with the tube models, but they were all so cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. N7GH

N7GH Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one some 40 years ago that I got from a family friend because it quit working, I cleaned it up and it started working for me. I too was amazed at the sensitivity of the receiver back in days of fledgling transistor use. I was rifling through a closet about 3 weeks ago and what to my delight and amazement should surface--my old Zenith Transoceanic! I've put it on projects for rejuvenation, I'm sure it still compares favorably to the new stuff.

5. AD8T

AD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my H500. I've never had my hands on any of the solid state models.
    Recapped, restored, retubed, & aligned.
    Complete with fake battery box that contains 60 AAs and 6 Ds.
    The plastic bag contains the old caps.
    It works very well.
    No germanium, but does have the 1L6 which is like gold :>)
    IMG_0784small.JPG IMG_0785small.JPG IMG_0786small.JPG

6. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got an H500 as well, but mine is in need of restoration. They are great radios.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a Transoceanic that was obtained as surplus through MARS. It was a frequent companion on camping trips. Great radio...

8. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

As an 8YO in 1965, the family took pity on me trying to make a little Zenith BCB pocket transistor radio into a low band SWR. I was given a log dial Trans 500--a little beaten about the edges, but one mighty package of imagination and learning. I cite this fantastic box as the beginning of my amateur radio journey!

9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else as a kid wonder why the guy sat there all day every day announcing the time on two or three different freqs? That was my first exposure to a to.

10. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to listen to the radio programs from overseas. Most times I never understood a word of it, but marveled over being able to hear someone on the radio from so far away. I used to love listening to the BBC when I was a teenager. And the announcer when their programming came on the air announcing, "This is London". Gave me goose bumps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.