Zenith Transoceanic 3000

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AB9IW, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AB9IW

AB9IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Zenith Transoceanic 3000 about 35 - 40 years old, used very little. Actually I used it mostly to get time hacks on WWV. Last time I used it before just a recent occasion it was still working fine. It is dirty (with some red dust that may be remnants of Thailand) and some corrosion here and there, but not in terrible condition. However I recently put fresh batteries in it and find it doesn't produce a usable sound. I can with great care and attention tune in maybe one audible signal. I tried the head set I use with my computer and again, can just barely hear a signal.

I have some theories, but nothing else. No scematic, nor test equipment.

Can anyone suggest what I might try or who might repair this at a reasonable cost? I probably don't want to pay what is a reasonable cost, since that is probably more than the receiver is worth to me, but still it has some little value to me as a relic of my past.

Thanks es 73,

Gene, ab9iw

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

I could be wrong, but I think these old TOs, like many old radios from the 30-50s, use high impedance headphones, like 2000 ohm. I don't think the 8 ohm stereo phones we use today will work well.

What other problems are there? If there is lots of distortion, I would suspect a bypass cap in the audio circuit.

Do you have access to a tube tester to see if the tubes are good. Many of the tubes are cheap and easy to get, but one of them (the 1L6?) is quite rare. Others here know more than me. I know working on TOs can be difficult; it's tight in there. I would suspect a bad cap or a bad tube. But use the right phones (or speaker).

paul

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

http://www.antiqueradio.org/zen25.htm

According to this web page, the 3000 model is transistorized and is one of the last ones they made . Therefore, I am not sure that the headphone impedance wouldn't be low!

You should probably determine if the problem is related to the RF/IF or Audio portions of the radio. You could do that by trying to pick the signal off of the volume control and feeding it to a separate amplifier. If the problem is in the audio stages, the signal should sound normal in an external amp or signal tracer. Can you do that?

Advantage to working on a transistor receiver, the voltages are much lower than in a tube set, and therefore safer to work on! Disadvantage, shorting something out could cause permanent damage instantly! Use care when poking around inside the set!

Good luck and 73 from Jim AG3Y

4. W9DDK

W9DDK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have on a transoceanic that I bought in the service in 1972 and it has 8 ohms headphone jack. Great receiver. When I was in NKP Thailand I could pick up WLS 890 out of Chicago at night there.

5. VU2PLE

VU2PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

From what you have written, it seems like a disuse problem.

I have found that spraying a little contact cleaner on the battery contacts, inside the volume control if possible and at a few other relevant points (like antenna soldering ) may revive your set w/o any repairs, if u r lucky.

Be sure to let the spray dry before switching the power on.

Happy listening OM.

73 de VU2PLE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.