Zed, or is it Zee?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9JIQ, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Zed is not only perfectly acceptable, it is a perfectly correct pronunciation of the letter "Z" in the English language. Furthermore, it is far more easily understood on the air than the pronunciation "Zee", which can too easily be heard as c, d, e, g, p, t, or v under even good reception conditions. Zed, however, is an absolutely unique sound. When conditions are bad, the operator will naturally resort to phonetics, using something like "Zulu". 73

Gary, K9 "Zed" MD/7
    Seattle, WA

2. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Zulu is a perfectly good Phonetic for the letter Zed or Zee as us Yanks refer to the letter. In most of the rest of the world, the last letter of the alphabet is NAMED Zed not zee.

You will note that on-the-air you will hear (and I still question the use of "Q" prosigns on phone) "Cue Are Zed" not KEHBECK ROEME-OH ZOOLOO

73 DE KAØGKT/7

--Steve

4. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, here is how I use it.

It is accurate that "zed" is the way most British and British Commenwealth/possessions/former colonies say the letter "z". This is their use when saying the alphabet (like singing the alphabet song). So, if you are not using the phonetic alphabet, then "zed" is acceptable. I use, like many others have said, to not confuse it with c, d, e, g, p, and t, when not using the phonetic alphabet.

When using the phonitic alphabet, one should use "zulu". That is what I do.

When not using the phonetic alphabet, I would say, "this is kay zero cee em zed". When using the phonetic alphabet I would say "this is kilo zero charlie mike zulu".

But when working DX, I often use some of the other terms that make it easier for non-english speaking operators, such as "united, mexico, california," etc.

5. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I got sick of saying, "NO, My call isn't UCR, it's U ZEE R". I decided to switch to saying U ZED R. So I am a lifer ZED person. And By The Way, Up here in North East Minnesota, they all say ZED.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The character is 'zed' and the phonetics are 'zulu'.

You don't ever say "Queen Romeo Zulu" do you? It's "Q R Zed" - no phonetics involved, but Zed is more recognizable than 'Z'.

I much prefer 'radio' to 'Romeo' and almost anything over 'golf', but in order to set a good example, I usually use 'Romeo Golf Romeo', at least the first time. You can tell I'm working hard to chase DX when it changes to 'radio Germany radio'. The 'radio' gets through every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.