Zed, or is it Zee?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9JIQ, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2CFJ

N2CFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some years ago I ran into a company that had a product in the US that was called EZ followed by the type of product. When he went to market it in England, he was advised to change it to E Zee since EZ would be pronounced as E Zed and the allusion to easy would be lost. Since he had to design new packaging to comply with British rules, the name change was no big deal.
    So, who is going down to the Big E Zed for Mardi Gras?

2. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

It's QRZed --- but ZeeBO!

Cortland
    KA5S

3. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

In the original BBC production George Jefferson called his wife Smallzed but an American writer changed it. The same thing happened with Steptoe and Son, Americans can't understand English so they called him Sanford.

Then again you're really not superstitious if you don't understand a ladder.

'Scuse me while I put some Zed Leppelin on the box, my dog FiFO kinda likes it.

4. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought "FIFO" meant First in First Out, which was a good thing and "FIST" meant First in Still There, which was a bad thing.

Just a little bit of accounting humor!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. N2CFJ

N2CFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the three inventory methods are FIFO (first in first out), LIFO (last in first out) and WIFL (whatever I feel like). The last method is used to reflect the pre determined profit.

6. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taught is was pronounced "Zulu" as a radio operator in the Army.
    But what did they know?

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Were I to live another 40 or so years, I would understand today's "language." I have finally, for example, learned "dot" means decimal point.

As a youngster, if I wanted someone to meet me on 3850.5 (which was highly unlikely as our VFOs were that accurate) I would use the word "point" for the decimal. A shortened form of "decimal point."

In school, in math, a decimal figure was presented as, for example, "one point five." I suppose some of the more formal math teachers would say "one decimal five." Mine were rather backwoodish, I guess, and used "point."

Now we find phone numbers no longer have dashes, but have "points." Or "dots."

In my early days of flying I might call in on "one twenty eight point five." Then I heard a guy suggesting I tune to "one twenty two dot five." "Dot? That's short for Dorothy."

Oh! We are on the subject of "Z" I don't say "zee" - too many "e's." I just say "z." One letter, not three.

This web site is the only place I may used the term "zed." On the air, "Z" is always ZULU. Saying it any other way would make me feel I was on the internet, not on the radio.

But I never liked "kaybec!" Not enough French blood (or wine?) in me, I guess. Their contribution to the ICAO alphabet. And yes, "pa-PA." We do it "PA-pa,", if talking about a parent. But in the military we did it the French way.

I prefer not to use (or hear!) 'cutsy' phonetics on the air. Don't mind them in person. Might meet a guy for lunch and mention that my call sign is W5 Hate To Work. But on the air it is Whiskey Five Hotel Tango Whiskey.

Just one of those dinosaurs, set in his OT ways, I guess.

Ed

8. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I say "zed", all the time except when I refer to the band ZZtop, that would be the only exception.

I also have all my clocks in 24 hours format, not AM and PM... never could figure out if 12 PM was midday or midnight [​IMG]

I use "point" when I refer to a decimal point, and "dot" when it's a web site or email address, so 3.780 is three point seven eighty.

I also use my dates in DD/MM/YYYY format, for me 04/05/2006 is the 4th of may, not april the 5th.

And so on... [​IMG]

9. AG4AX

AG4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I was taught none of those by the military. We were told to say ZULU for the letter Z and by far the majority of the hams I know say this. But that is military teaching and I guess if a civilian all your life depends where you live.

10. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Citation please?

Zed is a perfectly acceptable name for the character "z". It's not a phonetic. In most of the English speaking world, it is the name of the letter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.