Zed, or is it Zee?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9JIQ, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0LC

W0LC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taught via the study guide and via miliary, Zulu.

Most folks don't bother to use proper phonetics anymore and that is why so many ops get calls incorrect.

Whiskey Five Grasshoppers Hopp

Would that be W5GHH, W5GH, or what? To a foreigh, DX op, he may not have that much English language under his belt and would have a hard time. Most understand the standard phonetics.

Don't have that problem on CW. It is universal.

2. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. That's a pet peeve of mine, too.

As for 'zee" or "zed," it depends on how long you've been around. I'm part of the 'zed' generation.

3. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a background in aviation and military service, I naturally started using the proper ICAO alphabet when I first became a ham. However, after hearing most DX stations respond to my Kilo 5 Romeo Charlie Delta call with Radio Charlie Delta, I started using Radio almost exclusively. I reply to other stations with Romeo, and Zed if they use that themselves. Otherwise I use Radio and Zulu. If Z was part of my call sign I would probably use Zed. It really doesn't matter as long as it works. I never use Kilowatt instead of Kilo (although many others do) because I don't want someone thinking my call is KW5RCD. I have heard that mistake on the air before.

Although I no longer own an airplane, I would continue to use strict ICAO alphabet when talking to Air Traffic Control. Really don't want to confuse those guys !  If I had an aeronautical mobile station, I guess I would have to go back to using Radio across the board to keep from confusing MYSELF. I guess everything in life is just as complicated as we choose to make it.   [​IMG]

4. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,

Right, only Americans say "zee" like we butcher the rest of the English language. Here's a noteworthy exception, even the British say "dot com" while ending a sentence with a full stop and know what a decimal is. Americans get SO confused, sentences don't menstruate.

5. KE5FIX

KE5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

1 4/\/\ \/\/ 1 c| 7 |-| 3 7 3 ( |-| 1 3
    15 7 |-| 4 7 |_ 1 |< 3 37(
    [​IMG]

I get strange looks if I say zed instead of zee off air, so I say both zed (sometimes zee) on air and zee off air.

6. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't Zee any problem with using Zed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

I say Hotel Zebra One Tango X-Ray.
    When someone says that is wrong I answer with, what would you prefer in your Hotel, a Zebra or a Zulu? [​IMG]

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding HZ1TX:

If you're using all phonetics, then it would be Hotel Zulu One Tango Xray (to use the "proper" set.)

However, the confusion seems to arise when you're just saying the letters: Aitch Zee One Tee Ecks.  Most hams, worldwide, would say Aitch ZED One Tee Ecks... the English name of the letters, not the phonetics.

9. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always tell a pilot (or former pilot) on the air because they say "Nin-er" for the number 9 and "Fife" for the number 5.

73 this is KEYLOH ALFAH ZE-RO GOLF KEYLOH TANGGO

--Steve

10. M0ZMT

M0ZMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

Zed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.