ad: elecraft

Zed, or is it Zee?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9JIQ, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

Somewhere along the line, when I was fairly young and years before I became an amateur radio op, I got in the habit of referring to the last letter of the English alphabet as Zed. I have no clue when or where I picked up the habit but I know it was sometime ago since I can't really remember not doing it. Now I do know when I started slashing numbers and some letters when I printed them. I started in Data Processing long enough ago we still had key punch departments and key punch forms to fill out to get card decks punched up. Where I worked we were taught to slash zeros as we do as amateurs, also slash 7s and Zs using horizontal slashes. I haven't had to fill out a key punch form in years, probably close to 30, but I still slash all the letters and numbers I did years ago. Some habits are hard to break. My son still hasn't figured out what I mean when I spell something using the letter Zed, but that's his problem not mine as far as I am concerned

2. KG6YTZ

KG6YTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Only because Rodney MacKay is Canadian. [​IMG]

Me, I say "K-G-6-Y-T-Zee" [never "Y-T-Zed"] when identifying, but sometimes say "Q-R-Zed" instead of "Q-R-Zee" when mentioning this site. I don't know why.

3. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Re the "dot" as in "dotcom";

I always say "stop" in telegraph fashion, eg dub dub dub stop qrz stop com; this sometimes confuses the younger generation. [​IMG]

It's my modest revenge for that generation's adoption of its own "language";

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

And my use of "dub dub dub" confused a techie from my ISP recently; he'd never heard of it!

4. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

And advertising can cause difficulties in English-speaking countries;

[​IMG]

This "translates" as Eee Zed or Ezzz to me; not the EASY which it means in the US.

5. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

zee is used only in the us.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always known it as "Zed" in ham radio.

Nine Zed Four Delta Sierra was my first callsign.

7. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My original (1970) call was WA5ZXS. When I said "W A five zee exx esss" most people thought I was saying "cee exx ess." So I started saying "zed exx esss" and seldom had anyone get it wrong.

Hey, whatever works [​IMG]

8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Zee is not only used in the US.

I grew up in Trinidad and Tobago and all of my schoolteachers used Zee.

Zee TV

[​IMG]

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll find that most hams around the whole world use "zed" on the air. Off the air, I don't know and couldn't care less. It's been "zed" for a lot longer than I've been licensed. I got used to it as a novice.

True story: my high school geometry teacher (also a ham although I didn't know it at the time of this story) asked me to go up to the blackboard one fine day. He'd drawn a triangle and labeled the angles x, y and z, which he called "triangle x-y-zed". I asked him if he was a ham. He replied, "Why, yes I am - why do you ask?"

10. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Always said zed from the time I was 13. Look at my call.

As others have said, zed is the last letter of the English alphabet. FCC rules require ID in English, so there's no validity to any citations sent based on this.

As far as the dot in "dot com," I guess it's appropriate. It's not used as a period at the end of a sentence nor as a decimal point, so what the heck. What HAS irritated me in the past though is hearing hams talk about frequencies. Did you know that the national simplex frequency on 2m is "one four six dot five two?" Now THAT is a decimal point and should be referred to as such.

Dot THIS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.