ad: elecraft

Zed, or is it Zee?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9JIQ, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9JIQ

KC9JIQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

why do people say "zed" on the radio, like example: A9"zed"J?

I was taught to say "Z" as zee, not Zed.

and if you do use zed as a phonetic, why leave out the other letters phonetics too?

I hear this from 2 meters to 160... [​IMG]

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends what side of the pond you're on. [​IMG]

eric

3. W8OB

W8OB Guest

It is zee. If memory serves me right zed is the letter z in french?[​IMG].Or the British use zed for z??? Years back several amateurs got busted from the feds for using the zed in their ID's. FCC rules said the ID should be in accepted phonetics or letters in the english language. FWIW I don't think using zed for Z sets much of an example for new guys.

4. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's Zed. Reference-Stargate Atlantis. "We have a Zero Point Modulator so the city should be safe, right?" "No, our ZedPM is almost depleted and will not stand up to a wrath attack. Our shileds won't last five minutes. We need another ZedPM."
    Of course, being exmilitary I don't use Zed but instead perfer ZULU.

5. AL7N

AL7N Ham Member QRZ Page

The phonetic for "Z" is of course "ZULU" ( the proper ITU
    one anyway).

But saying the single letter "zee" on phone makes it much much too easily mistaken for the single letter "cee".

So I tend to use "Zed" for the letter "zee" when in such operations....eliminates any possibility of mistaking it
    for something else. "cee" works fine for the single letter "c".

In the CW mode "z" is "dahdahdidit"  and there ain't no mistaking it for anything else....period.

6. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

In ordinary speech it's just a useage thing; the British (and the Aussies [​IMG] ) say "Zed" whilst North Americans say "Zee".

GBS' quote is well-known;

"England and America are two countries separated by the same language".

Oscar Wilde also commented on this;

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".

And Dylan Thomas thought that the two countries were "...up against the barrier of a common language".

Although he was hardly entitled to criticise language differences;

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6373/trevorti1.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. VE3LXL

VE3LXL Ham Member QRZ Page

"Zed" is the British name for the letter "z". It's also the name used in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. In fact the entire English speaking world, except for the United States, calls that letter "zed". The letter Z is derived from the Greek letter zeta, so "zed" is simply the English version of "zeta".

I don't know if it's true that the FCC cited anyone for using "zed" instead of "zee" on the air, but if they did, they were being extraordinarily picky. "Zed" is perfectly good English, even if it isn't normally used in the United States.

8. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

My original call issued to me was KC7USZ, when working DX on 6mtrs others had problems getting the Z so I used either Zed, Zulu or Zebra and it seemed to work better. That is one of reasons I applied for and got the vanity call W7ACT.

Even tough I liked the original call for some reason it was phonetically flawed because of Z at the end.

9. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I've always thought of this forum as Cue Are Zed Dot Com ! ! !

And BTW, why is the period between the first part of a URL and the last part of a URL always called a "dot" ? [​IMG]

"Inquiring minds want to know! ! ! " [​IMG] [​IMG]

73, Jim

10. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

VE3LXL has it at least that's what I read...and I think it's a dot because it's easier to say then period...sounds beeter too. can you imagine "cue are zed period com"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.