ZED callsign counter running behind?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys crack me up!

The TOS speaks of artificially increasing your lookup count. It should probably be reworded because some of you have the wrong impression of what it means.

Several years back, we had users who would look up their own call sign hundreds of times per day just to increase the lookup count. This meant that our servers were doing useless work and depriving others of its performance. In addition, it was skewing our analytics counts inappropriately. It was perhaps the dumbest thing that I ever saw on the site and that's how it got into the TOS.

Subsequent to the publication of the rule, we made it possible for users to simply reset the 'odometer', so to speak, and made the value user-settable. This does not affect the server and we don't mind if you do it. We also keep two lookup counts, one which you set and one which we set. Ours reflects the actual number of times that the server has served up your call sign. Your count can say anything you want, depending on how you set it.

On the detail tab, the smaller number in parenthesis is the official QRZ server count.

Look at W3IFI :) 6,900,000 lookups (1965)

73 -fred

VK6APZ, AG5DB, W4POT and 1 other person like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I say leave the TOS as it is. Makes for high entertainment value.

3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now I understand the discrepancy.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. The QRZ server count is about twice that of my unmolested actual count.
    Why is that?
    Lookups 25463 (52265)

W5BIB likes this.
  5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the explanation of the second counter. I always thought I was the "official" lookup number but was not entirely certain until now. 73 Rich

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine one number is unique lookups and the other an aggregate total.