Zap!

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2HN, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA5S

KA5S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anti-static spray has been suggested. A better fix is to use a different (or overlaying) carpet material that doesn't generate as much static, or even a grounded, resisitive material that dissipates it.  (Dirty enough carpet is almost as good as dissipative material but that'd cut about as much ice with an XYL as a soap handsaw.)

I had occasion to suggest static remediation to a lab at a previous employer; they could not afford to replace the chairs (the culprit there) nor the time to officially buy anti-static solution, so we made an ad-hoc one with detergent in water, and sprayed the chairs. For a while, you could tell who worked in that lab by the seats of their pants being wet!

Cortland
    KA5S

2. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

When we put in a new furnace, they put on a furnace mounted humidfier, not a sprayer style but one that blows air through water flowing down fins to add the moisterure to the air as it leaves the furnace itself. The water flow and moisture level is controled by a adjustable humidistat located next to the thermostat. The maximum level the humidstat allows is 35% and there are instructions to lower the per centage setting as the outside temp gets lower. The furnace people said just to keep an eye on the windows and when condensation begins to form up the window to lower the percent setting. If the condensation disappears then raise the setting until just a small line of condensation forms at the bottom of the windows. Once winter sets in with sub-freezing temps I very seldom have the percentage up over 30%. I have had to lower it as far as 15% when the temps outside got really chilly for around here. I can always tell when it is time raise the setting when I pet the cats and get sparks jumping while i stroke them. I also don't win points with the cats when that happens, especially when the first thing I touch is an ear tip or nose tip. That makes them really pouty for some reason. I would think having a humidty level of 50% during really cold outside temps would have condensation all over everything that is slightly cooler then room temp but maybe not.

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

You can always go for the wrist-strap approach, too. It isn't all that great to be "tied" to your workbench, but if you have high-priced parts that you don't want to "zap" into oblivion. they certainly do the job!

You can also get conductive rubber floormats to put under you at your workbench position. A bit more expensive, but again, they do the job! Good luck!

73, Jim

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You will only get condensate on objects that are below the "dew point". We had all the windows replaced several years ago with good quality triple glazed units... well, all but one. Yes, that window does get a pretty good amount of dew on the inside, and will probably end up rotting out the wood... I should have replaced that one too while I was at it for all the others. The new windows dont get any condensate on them at 50% even when the temp outside is down below zero. I'm still paying for those windows, but my lower heating bills are helping to offset that!

73 de Jeff

5. KC0NBW

KC0NBW Ham Member QRZ Page

you would be amazed at the static charge that builds up on a wheelchair as you roll around and then touch something, or better yet, someone! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

What about febreze? ists a water type detergent spray? Just a suggestion, liked the neon bulb one should try it sometime [​IMG] .

KB1LQC

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you eliminate the 1-meg resistor and neon, you will still get a spark. Mo fun that way!!!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

HUH?[​IMG]??

Forgive me, I fail to see how 50% non-condensing humidity can possibly cause any harm to anything, or anyone. In fact, low humidity can cause all kinds of trouble with sinuses... ask your ENT next time you are there with chronic bloody noses from living in a house with 17% RH .

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on how proper relative humidity levels can be harmful ?

(of course, you DO need to keep your humidifier equipment clean, we all know about Legionaires disease)

73 de Jeff

9. KC8UJZ

KC8UJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandma pulls the covers off of her air vents and puts small plastic butter tubs full of water in them.  She has to re-fill them every morning.  There's no more static.  

KC8UJZ

10. KB7DTI

KB7DTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome idea!!!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.