Zap!

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2HN, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Having my hamshack in a carpeted room and being that time of year again when temps are down along with the humidity, the nasty little shocks of static electricity begin. Has anyone found an easy solution to the problem other than shorting yourself out on the xyl prior to touching the equipment?
    tnx/Jim

2. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try a humidifier. Simply boiling some water on a hot plate will do it.

3. AB8UG

AB8UG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a temporary fix. It will last about 24hours.
    Mix a 50% solution of cheap fabric softener and water and put it in a fine spray bottle and spray your carpet with the solution. It is cheap and makes the carpet smell good too. [​IMG]

Ps. Don't overdo it. Just a fine misting of the carpet does the trick.

4. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Have a humidifier in the same room but evidently does not keep up with the hot air heating system.

5. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, to get an advantage out of it, put some wool socks on, and drag your feet all over the floor. Then after a while of that, go touch someone on the ear or something. [​IMG]

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are humidifiers that go in your heating equipment that brings the humidity up in the whole house.

When I was assisting my father do furnace installations (high school and first 2 years of college summer vacations) we never installed a heating system without a humidifier (this was in northern Indiana). However, it seems that the industry has gotten away from this.

My middle daughter had all sorts of ear infections when she was little until I installed a humidifier in my central heating system. After just a couple of days her ear problems went away and never came back.

There are all sorts of "fancy" humidifiers that can be installed in the furnace including those that "spray" water into the air before it is distributed to the house. But, those types have problems with the nozzel getting "clogged" by deposits of things dissolved in the water. The best type that I have ever "run into" are the old types that connect to the cold water line and have a container that fills with water (there is a "float valve" to keep this from overfilling) and has a number of "vanes" that "wick" the water into the air flow. This type lasts for years whereas the nozzel types have to have the nozzel replaced at least once per year if not more often (they tend to "drip" water which causes rust in the furnace when they start getting clogged).

Glen, K9STH

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I use two humidifiers in my house, they are the console type, with 2 removable water bottles, appx 6 gallons in each one. (I don't have forced hot air heating). In order to keep the house at appx 50% humidity, I need to fill both of them about every day and a half. Thats TWENTY FOUR GALLONS! every 36 hours. I doubt if boiling a pot of water could keep up with that! But, there is little problem with static electricity in the house, and the xyl's houseplants are quite happy.

73 de Jeff

8. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always use my solution to the low temperature, low humidity problem.

The DX is pretty good from YV, also. [​IMG]

Walt, W5ALT

9. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

WR2E,
    I have the hot water run through copper baseboard radiators heat in my house. I was using a humidifier that had a ‘water wheel’ drum inside. Since it 'went south' I have been using the heating element from an old coffee pot, with a 5 quart stainless steel pot on it, to keep water not boiling but really warm.

All the rooms on the main floor have ceiling fans that run pretty much all the time and keep the moisture and heat moving.

Yes this Frankenstein humidifier does need constant refilling, but the wife got some good smelling oil stuff to put in it and it ain't all bad. Seems to keep my humidity at 40% most of the time kills the static.

In the morning and again when I get home from work the pot is usually nearly dry but the hydrometer still reads close to 40%. Every few days I wash the pot really good so it doesn’t get the chance to start stinking. Learned that the hard way.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try some of the anti-static spray meant for clothing.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.