Z=PR011 AUTO ATU

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by G4REK, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. G4REK

G4REK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    Got the LDG auto tuner works great on my transistor rigs 100 watts, was wondering if i use it with my FT101ZD MK3 which puts out a bit more rf (about 130 watts) it will damage the atu which is rated at 100 watts, would only use ssb so no heavy duty cycle involved.
    Any thoughts
    Jim g4rek

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you mean the Z-11 Pro.

I have one and I think it's pretty good but ... mine generated smoke at 100 watts on 20m one day. It still worked after it cooled down but one of toriod coils looked quite burned and it was all black around it on the circuit board. LDG fixed it under warrenty. I'm now nervous using it at 100w and I wouldn't try it on 130w.

As far as I can see, you can't really rate an antenna purely for power. It depends on the impedence it's trying to match because that determines the voltage and currents flowing. You may get away with higher power in some situations. It's hard to tell. I guess the thing to do would be take the cover off and see if the coils get too hot. Don't touch it while you're transmitting unless you want to burn your fingers with RF. Of course any heat is energy lost and not going to the antenna so if it's getting really hot then that would suggest the efficency is not great when matching that impedence.

I think the documentation has some sort of caution saying that even the 100w is a "guideline" or similar words.

3. G4REK

G4REK Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay thanks for coming back on that, i have on many times tried to contact them to no avail...........good idea about lid off and check if coils are getting warm after a short blast.......perhaps i could turn the drive control back a bit on ssb but not sure if that control only works on tune up position...........will have a play later today
    thanks jim g4rek

4. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would give it a try. What have you got to lose but a $170 tuner?

5. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the state of the tune, or how hard the tuner is going to be working. I think they give it a 125 watt max rating.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right it does say 125 watts. Somehow I thought it was only 100.

However, the manual says:

"The Z-11Pro II is rated at 125 watts maximum power input at most."

That's their italics.

Maybe I was just unlucky or mine was faulty. I had my TS430S cranked up to max on CW which I guess has a higher duty cycle than SSB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.