ad: SDRKits-1

Z-11Pro interface IC 700

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by ON4ROS, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ON4ROS

ON4ROS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently changed from Yaesu FT897 to Icom 7000. Need to adapt the Tuner control cable from the Yaesu (3.5mm stero jack on each end t) to wire into the IC 7000 Molex connector. Does anyone have the details on the wiring both ends of this cable for the ICOM 7000?
    Thanks

Douglas (ON4ros@rosweb.info)

2. KD5RFT

KD5RFT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. ON4ROS

KD5RFT
    Thanks for yours. I already got to this page but alas...down.
    Someone should have this detail.
    73's

4. KD5RFT

I'd hate to be responsible for a mistake here so please don't use these results until they can be verified -- especially the 12v lines. You can simply probe with a multimeter on the back of the IC-7000 and look at the markings inside the Z-11 Pro for the power connector.

I'm labeling the IC-7000 molex-type connector "Letter I" starting with the pointy end as "Pin 1":

{point} IC-7000
    <========|
    I1 I2 I3 I4

The data headphone-type plug for the Z11-Pro "Letter L" starting with the tip as "Pin 1":

{tip} Z11-Pro Data
    <=|=|=||
    L1 L2 L3

The power port for the Z11-Pro:

Z11-Pro Power
    PIn (Inside) POut (Outside)

I'm documenting under the assumption this is a direct cable and there are no electronics, diodes, resistors, etc.. as I have not cut this open.

L1 - I1
    L2 - I2
    L3 - I4

PIn - I3
    POut - I4

Nick KD5RFT
    RF Turkey

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD5RFT

I've used the two together and prefer not to use the data cable, here's the rundown (this is from memory when I last used the data cable):

There's a slight quirk in the on-screen tune indicator. I forget the steps to reproduce, but it doesn't always update to show the correct status. This may affect auto-tuning from the IC-7000.

The tune button outputs reportedly 10w or 30w (I can't recall my actual reading). I prefer to tune at 1W instead. The IC-7000 can't read SWR from 1W but the Z11-Pro can.

The IC-7000 feature that send a tuning carrier before each new frequency encountered works but like the tune indicator can get out of sync. It may send the carrier unnecessarily or not send it when required.

I believe the Tuner Auto-Start and Per-Band On/Off options on the IC-7000 are not implemented. However, the Z-11 Pro can still auto-tune if that feature is enabled and the IC-7000 or Z11-Pro is set to tune. (one updates the other's status but they can get out of sync)​

Nick KD5RFT
    RF Turkey

7. ON4ROS

Thanks all for the information. I now have a working wired solution.
    my appreciation to all.

Douglas (ON4ROS/ G1NZB)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.