YouTube Videos of BA rigs

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W4OP, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great videos of radios I wasn't familiar with.i Nice to have the in depth discussion and demos.

73, Bill

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool!

I posted one myself, do a search on youtube for 'Gonset Communicator'

4. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jim,
    What a nice clean example of the Gonset. Slope detected FM sure sounds good- even better than some of today's dedicated FM rigs.
    I long for the days when you could tell what rigs were on a swap table from 50 yards away. Today,all the rigs look the same.
    Here's a pix of my restored Gonset 6M Sidewinder- a fun rig.

Thanks Jim,
    Dale W4OP
    gonset6mSSB.jpg

5. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned an Atlas 350-XL for over 30 years now. While I now consider an Elecraft K2/100 my main rig, I still put the 350 on the air a few times a month. Some of the LED dot matrix displays are starting to get a little intermittent, but the rig works great and I still enjoy using it - especially on CW. Great videos, thanks for posting.
    Bill

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both the Atlas 350XL and the Cubic 103BX, and they are wonderful radios. My Atlas doesnt work on 40 meters though, and I haven't been able to figure out why. I am looking for the matching power supply for it to no avail. watching Ebay fervently. But I can run the radio off of a regular Astron PS like the rest of the rigs. I do have a PSU-9 for the Cubic. Very cool on the homebrew DDS VFO. Wish you would do a vid on it showing how that is built. I highly commend you on your outstanding Homebrewing! Especially that W7ZOI RX, that is spectacular!!!! Homebrewing is a lost art, but you have sure mastered it! 73!

7. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You've probably already checked it - but if not, look at the 40 M Het Osc Xtal on PC-720 near the front of the bandswitch. It is 18.1 MHz rock. I had one go bad on me years ago (a different band though), and took the opportunity when ordering a new one to also order the required crystals for 30 and 17 meters. Output and sensitivity are just a bit reduced on the WARC bands. You have to do a little retuning, but the results are quite acceptable.
    Bill

8. W4OP

W4OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the 80M het xtal go out on my 350XL right after I acquired it. I agree with Bill- that is the 1st place to look.
    There is currently a 350XL power supply on eBay. Like most, it needs repair- just update the regulator and pass circuitry with something more modern.
    There was a hi end P.S. also that contained a phone patch and digital clock- in fact that was why I decided to add the digital clock to my homebrew 350XL Station Accessory.
    On the readouts- I think it is WC6W that has spare readouts. They are a tad rare so I bought some from him this year as spares.

GL,
    Dale W4OP

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't classify those as BA rigs -- they were right at the end times for Cubic/Swan, and were actualy the forerunners of completely solid state rigs.

I am especially fond of the 350XL -- being the only rig I've ever used on CW with full break-in. Takes a while to get used to hearing the receiver noise when it was key up, but . . . I wish more hams knew what full break-in is good for . . .

I remember the tuning knob on the 103 -- not a round & round knob, but actually a slew control. Farther left or right, the VFO would go up and down faster. Takes some getting used to, but it does work.

Both, IMHO, are collectible, and not that common.

Gary WA7KKP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.