Youtube video of Windows XP running in a virtual machine on Linux

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Oct 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Youtube video demonstrates a virtual machine running Windows XP in Linux Mint, and how this is safer than running Windows XP directly on hardware, especially a PC that is connected to the internet. I run XP in a VM on my Linux Mint 17.3 installation on this laptop. I also run an old Dell Dimension down in my lab/workshop with its original Windows XP that is never connected to the internet.

Robolinux Stealth VM is an application that runs Oracle VirtualBox with additional features, including an interface, or shell, that appears to simplify some of the operations performed in managing the virtual machine. Stealth VM is not free. VirtualBox itself is free, and the same protection against viruses applies. I have not used Stealth VM.

The Youtube video demonstrates how Windows XP running in VirtualBox is isolated by the virtual machine, and reverting to a previous saved VM state protects against a virus that infects windows XP. The video vas created by the developer of the Robolinux Stealth VM product. Robolinux by itself is open source. the Robolinux.org web site shows downloads available for Linux Mint, Ubuntu and OpenSuse. VirtualBox can be installed on most Linux operating systems, and Windows 7 and Windows 10 can be run on Linux in a VM.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe5-DJa-hMs

Ted, KX4OM

KF5RRF and WF9Q like this.
  2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I run Windows 7 for SDR software in VMs, VMware Player because it has better USB management. I do not have a live install of Windows on any of my machines, either because I don't want to mess with Bootcamp or have to boot back and forth between Linux and Windows in the shack.

What makes Stealth VM attractive though is the fingerprinting of the guest OS and it rolls back. If I had to run XP, this is how I'd do it.

[​IMG]

3. KX4OM

The test of XP in VirtualBox I'm going to do this week is to see if I can run the Poor Ham's Scalar Network Analyzer and its Windows application program, plus the Arduino IDE and the Arduino Uno 3 through the "XP" USB interface. If not, I'll probably have to run it on the old Dell Dimension 2200.

What the Stealth VM did not show are the steps to set up USB 2.0 in Virtual box. Perhaps the application comes with the VirtualBox program, the Guest Additions and the matching version of the Extension Pack necessary to make the USB 2.0 work. I've had to install VirtualBox from the Oracle web site rather than the Ubuntu software repository to make sure the Extension Pack and main VirtualBox installation versions match. Otherwise, USB 2.0 will not work.

Ted, KX4OM

4. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can run any version of Windows in a VirtualBox VM. You can take a snapshot of a VM and roll it back anytime you want. Snapshots are a nice feature and great if you mess up you VM for any reason. . . broken update, install something you don't want any remnant of later, test new application and roll it back, etc. You can make several different snapshot trees and have several different states available.

I had a Win vm that I used. I created a snapshot tree to use to install Log4OM for testing while using a different snapshot tree for my normal work. That way I could delete the Log4OM tree if I didn't want it and my other tree was untouched. You don't need Stealth VM for this at all.

I read through Stealth VM's web page and didn't find anything really valuable there that you can't do yourself with VirtualBox and snapshots.

VirtualBox runs on Linux as well as OS X and Windows. I use it everyday on OS X for a Win VM.

5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Video is interesting, you still have access via windows to the "e" drive that was used in the demo, I need to think about that some more because it seems to me the "e" drive data can be corrupted/encrypted via windows. So how did they activate windows running inside the VM?

6. KX4OM

I had that question as well. I haven't used VirtualBox enough to explore it, less than a year, on 3 machines running Linux as the host. The only devices outside the VM that I've used are USB 2.0, which is available via the Extensions Pack ISO residing in one of my Linux directories mounted on the virtual CD-ROM. I really should read the manual to see what further options are there. Here is where the "drive E" is addressed in the VirtualBox manual:

9.9.1. Using a raw host hard disk from a guest
    'Starting with version 1.4, as an alternative to using virtual disk images (as described in detail in Chapter 5, Virtual storage), VirtualBox can also present either entire physical hard disks or selected partitions thereof as virtual disks to virtual machines."
    ...(a lot more in the actual manual, of course)...​

The video of Linux Mint shows the Windows XP icon on the main screen, and it is launchable. I dutifully launch the VirtualBox VM Manager and select which OS VM I want to start. Typically, this would be a couple of Linux distros that I am trying out, with my XP installation also in a VM one of the Linux PCs.

The video also shows the VMs and the saved states of them available in the Mint Cinnamon desktop environment, and also the icon for locking or unlocking "drive E" on the task bar. That is beyond the "customization" of VirtualBox addressed in 9.20 "Locking Down the VirtualBox GUI." The developer of Stealth VM (I assume) added those features to the VirtualBox source code and added to code for the Mint, Ubuntu and OpenSuse desktop environments. It's all open source.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    WF9Q likes this.