YouTube Ham Channels....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NB8F, Jun 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wanted to vent for a minute, maybe it is just me. I applaud the sheer number of Ham Radio YT channels out there today, it's nice to see. However, many have become sales tools vs informational. While some of the channels may have some information from time to time, it seems like them demoing something they borrowed from (insert ham radio company here) is the norm. There are some channels I love to watch because they do more than become sales tools. (K8MRD, Ham Radio 4 Non Techies, a few others). I find myself fast forwarding through all the chats, live stream kind of stuff to get to the meat of the content. Some of these videos are an hour long and seem to have about 10 mins worth of decent information. I want you all to keep up the channels, I just want to share one mans opinion about them to maybe help improve the content.

God Bless ... Andy de NB8F

YC8EMJ, W6ZD, KK6NKA and 5 others like this.
  2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am glad I dusted off the popcorn maker last night. This thread will become just as enlightening as the EMCOMM thread is going.

My 2 cents: I find all information has value. Sometimes I watch a YT video and it is obviously a biased report for whatever reason, but I can usually get something out of it. I really do not care what the motivation for the presenter is as long as it is honest about if the channel is monetized or if they got the product for free to review.

NL7W, ZL2TOY, KY4GD and 3 others like this.
  3. NB8F

NB8F QRZ Lifetime Member #367 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To be clear I am not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone. I want everyone to be polite. There should be no need for popcorn, simply a way to help those content creators hear from Hams.

N1VAU, KO4ESA and K1OIK like this.
  4. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It really depends on the channel. Many YT channels provide useful information on operating of radios or modes. I got set up on FT8 through watching a few extremely well done tutorials on the mode.

What I DON'T like are channels that appear to be attempts to build a brand rather than provide operating information. I don't care what some dude's opinion is on the League or CW or "jammers" or any other manufactured outrage. II also avoid channels that brag about numbers of viewers etc as these sites are almost always vanity projects. YAWN.

KI5QMP, KK9W, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, no. There will be plenty of a need for popcorn... with extra butter... once The Usual Suspects get involved.

That said...

This is an issue with a good many You Tube channels, not just Amateur Radio ones. My experience is that the worst of the lot either (a) don't believe that they have sold out, or take an hour on a 5 minute subject; or (b) don't care what you think.

So, don't be disappointed if little to nothing comes of your venting, much as that venting is needed or necessary.

W0FS, N0TZU, KO4ESA and 2 others like this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with a lot of these Tubers is they all about “their brand” and making money off there channel. And yes, most times you have to fast forward through all the BS just to get to the actual content of the video. I am find them to be a waste time honestly.

Then once they do get to the content at hand, they are often not even completely informed about what they are even talking about, some even admit it mid video…SMH.

Lastly, for now…Between the clown faces they put on their thumb-nailed videos and the pimping for likes, subs and people’s money, I don’t have the patience to digest the actual content most of the time. The last place I would seek Elmering would be from YouTube…

Is what it is I guess. I am it will be a matter time before their fanboys will start chiming in here and defending these self professed “recruiters” of the hobby.

W0FS, KK9W, KB3FEI and 8 others like this.
  7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you watched *any* television channel ever? They're ALL vehicles to sell you something, with some being their sole purpose.

Google has very lean rules on when they pay the content creators. For niche channels, and ham radio videos certainly qualify, the only way for people to make a buck is to take on outside sponsorships. A few people do it for joy of educating and sharing their hobby, the rest are shouting into the wind competing amongst themselves and every YT creator for a very limited set of eyeballs.

KI5QMP and KO4ESA like this.
  8. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like watching the YouTube videos of the fights at Walmart and fast food places. Always good for a laugh

W5UAA and KO4ESA like this.
  9. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are some of my favorite YT ham channels and why

DX Commander (UK ham who makes the DX Commander antenna)
    Thomas Witherspoon (Unedited CW POTA videos)
    Temporarily Offline (Steve has interesting ham radio guests and presentations. Either one on one interviews or Zoom style ham chats)
    Astro Leah (One of the most enthusiastic ham channels out there. Her dad is Steve from Temporary Offline)
    Kevin Loughin (Lot of great ham radio projects and how to videos)
    LCARA HAMRadio (Lake Cumberland KY Amateur Radio Association. Lot of interesting club projects)
    Amateur Radio VK3YE (Australian ham Peter Parker had some some amazing ham radio projects and tests them right on the beach or in the parks)

VK5FUSE, KF5KWO, M0TTQ and 3 others like this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe "Yoo-Toob" vireos are similar to "W*kipedia". They are NOT subject to moderation, or otherwise checked for accuracy or honesty and may or may NOT be accurate, or factual. I take ALL with (at least) a grain of salt, some with more that a pound. And I agree, many are some sort of "sales" promotion of one kind or another, but that IS the nature of Yoo Toob.

NL7W and KO4ESA like this.