YouTube / Computer Guru Needed

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W2BBQ, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks, There is an old 80's song on Youtube that I would like to download to my computer and onto Real Player where I have all my sound files stored.

I don't notice any way to do that on YT.

The song is not available commercially on CD or I would just buy it.

I have found an mp3 download but I don't use that - don't have an ipod - never have done an mp3 type download.

Any help?....and I need you to speak plainly (sorry) keep the advanced computereese to a minimum.

Thanks!!

2. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can open an MP3 download in Real Player. But you need to be virus savvy when downloading MP3s

There's also something called "savetubevideo" which is a youtube video downloader. Google it and you'll find it. Not sure how safe it is from point of view of viruses/malware etc. I've read that there are problems with the software hijacking your browser and redirecting you to another site every time you open it!

3. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Real Player (and Windows Media Player) can play MP3 files, go ahead and download that MP3 file.

YouTube doesn't want you to save copies of video and audio, that's why there is no way to do it. At least not officially.....

If you use FireFox for your browser, you can use one of several FireFox add-ins to download YouTube videos to your computer. "Easy YouTube Video Downloader" appears to be the most popular, but there are others.

4. W2BBQ

Wow thanks I'll try one of these solutions!

73 Woody

5. W2BBQ

Okay, I took the Firefox add-on and got the music video downloaded to Quick Time Player, which I guess I had on the computer already or I have it now....geesh.

SO....I can run it there fine but would still like to transfer it to Real Player with the rest of my sounds to keep everything in one place. Can that be done?

6. WB5HQH

WB5HQH Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KF5CGM

KF5CGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ipod isn't using MP3, the rest of the world is using MP3 but not Ipod.

Yes there are sometimes things hidden in flash videos, but if you have your virus scanner, your OS and your FireFox uptodate you won't have a problem with this stuff.

This only hurts people that don't update.

By the way, it's very easy to download a flashvideo to your computer, if you still need help, I can send you the instruction how to do so and you will have a lot of fun with it.

8. W2BBQ

Hi guy, I guess you didn't see my last response. I have the item on my machine now but the way it worked it downloaded to Quick Time Player. Now I would like to transfer it over to Real Player where I have the rest of my sounds files in order to keep everything in one place. I've looked around in QTP and RP but am not seeing a way to make the transfer. Any ideas? You apparently cannot download directly into RP from the internet. Thanks for your time!

9. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

To answer the technical questions, yes, you can do all of the above from within Real Player. You need to make sure you have the latest version, though. Also, make sure your software for handling Flash media (Adobe Flash Player and equivalent) is the latest version as well.

Once the video is downloaded and added to Real Player's media library, it is just a matter of right mouse click on the file and choosing "Convert to...". Then you can change the settings and convert the media into the many different supported formats.

73s de KC8RLU.

10. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just had this problem too.

I downloaded the newest version of Internet Explorer, IE8, and the “Download this Video” box that used to pop up when I’d be watching a you tube video did not come up like it always had.

So, I downloaded the newest version of Realplayer, version 14, and it still did not work.

One of the many suggestions was to download the Firefox browser and just use that. It did not work either.

Eventually I was looking in ‘Tools’ on the IE browser and saw a line that said ‘Manage add-on’s’ when I clicked on that it opened up another box that listed all the add-on’s on my browser. Looking through the list I was amazed to see how many add-on’s I had on the computer in the first place but I also saw that the Realplayer was disabled. By clicking on the word disabled you get a little box at the bottom of the dialogue box that allows you to enable it.

That’s all it took, it will download the video and Realplayer will offer you the chance to convert it to many formats, I use the mp3 option myself.

Once its converted I can play it with any of the media players on the computer. I can also burn it to CD if I so desire.

I’ve never managed to burn any of the videos to a DVD but that may be because I don’t have the full version of any burning software just the ‘essentials’.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.