ad: Radclub22-1

Youth in Amateur Radio Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Friday, June 20, 2003 - The HamTestOnline website announced today its new Youth in Amateur Radio program, which gives eligible school, scouting and youth amateur radio clubs a 50% discount on website subscriptions for students 18 and under.

"We are offering this discount to support projects bringing kids into amateur radio, like ARRL's The Big Project," announced John "J.C." Cunningham, W1AI, the website founder.  "We want to help make ham radio an affordable hobby!"

"In keeping with the Year of the Youth theme of Hamvention 2003, we want to encourage more young people to enter the world of amateur radio," added Harold "Pi" Pugh, K1RV, the HamTestOnlineT website course master.  "Today's kids are internet-savvy.  They are much more comfortable studying with an interactive learning program than reading a book," Pi continued.  "We've been very successful with kids as young as 11 years old!"

Pi and J.C. have been working for years to bring youth into amateur radio. They are two of the leading forces behind the K1USN Radio Club's scouting program, which introduces about 5,000 scouts to amateur radio each year as part of their Overnight Adventure on board the USS Salem museum ship docked in Quincy, Massachusetts.

The HamTestOnlineT website provides computer-based training for the U.S. amateur radio written exams.  Unlike practice exams, it starts with simple concepts and progresses to more complex ones, and provides additional
    information not in the question pools.  The website tracks each student's progress through the course and uses "intelligent repetition" to ensure each concept is mastered.  Students learn the material rather than memorizing the answers.

The website offers a "free trial" with access to 20% of the questions.  A regular subscription costs $29.95 for full access to all three question pools.  The Youth in Amateur Radio subscription provides the same full access and is offered at $14.95 to students 18 and under who subscribe through an eligible youth organization.

For more information on the HamTestOnlineT website's Youth in Amateur Radio program, visit www.hamtestonline.com or send an email to K1RV@hamtestonline.com.

Pi - K1RV

http://www.hamtestonline.com

k1rv@hamtestonline.com

2. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats awesome! I am 15 and I whish I could have studied for my tech license online. I am the president of a high school radio club {Springstead High School Radio Club KG4VJS} and I know I have already sent a few club members to online ham testing sources {I would really quickly like to thank QRZ for the free online practice tests, they are a huge help! So thanks} I like the idea of discounting the price to utilize the study program anything that saves teens {and under} is a plus! I only whish AES and HRO and Universal Radio... would give youth a discount on radios, maybe one day?. Thanks and 73
    Alexander KG4OGN

3. AD6XS

AD6XS Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD5VZD @ July 04 2003,07:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, I just want to say that I'm 13 and I qualify for this, but just for the record, I do like studying from the books.I'm sure that some teens ,and younger, probably like the computer more, but there are some out there that prefer the books. It's just the books you can study just about anywhere, you know? I do appriciate you posting that as it will be very helpful to some people.
                                                                              73s
                                          Shane KD5VZD temporary AG[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, I'm with you. Ok, I'm in 40's, Love computers, games elevtronic stuff.

But whether a novell or a study nothing like settling into a big squishy chair, sitting back and enjoying material.

Our field day was nice, at one point everyone was joking, one station was being run by "girl power".

5. W6XC

W6XC Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything that'll help to sustain a young person's interest in amateur radio should be supported. Many (young and old) have taken their tests and become licensed in the past, only to buy an HT, talk for a few weeks, and disappear for months or years. Those who are interested, especially the young, should be given as much knowledge as they desire regarding amateur radio's 'infinite possibilities' to stimulate their interest.

A productive contribution is to begin this process with the testing itself. Whether it is reading a book, visiting a website, or spending time with an experienced operator to 'learn the ropes,' everyone should have the opportunity to learn. Not only that, to learn by a way that best suits them. After all, choice and information are inherently important in today's society, and more doors are opening every day.

Personally, I prefer books and practical application as a combined method, but everyone's path is different. I suppose that I'll be in plenty of trouble if 'Fahrenheit 451' ever becomes reality in full! [​IMG] However, that's another topic for another day..

-W6KGB

6. N5IF

N5IF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go here for FREE as well;

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/

Simon's site is very well put together.  You can take on-line exams as well as look at all study questions/figures at your own pace.  You can even have exams emailed to you if you don't want to take them on-line.

7. KB1IPK

KB1IPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I know for myself I prefer book study at home. That is, of course, just my own personnal opinion.
    I am glad that there are people out there doing good stuff for young hams and prospective young hams.
    had 2 add my $.02.

8. KD7WHQ

KD7WHQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Check out KI7YP.
    I QSO'd four of his fourth grade hams, and one TA, before school let out for the summer. Hope they get radios soon, after talking to me and each other (from opposite sides of the playground) [​IMG]
    He got more than 30 kids their licences this last school year.

Amazing!

The only issue I had, was talking too fast (excited), and too loud (tin can phone? Louder I talk the further I go? lol)

I think it is fantastic though.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi All...

I also prefer to do Home Study, but also enjoy learning some of the material on the computer as well. That’s just my personal opinion, but I'm glad to see that there are some people out there doing some good things for promoting amateur radio to the youth.

Andrew/K3ASK
    Kidshamradio.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.