Youth ham net

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KD8EPC, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually,

A low beam (about 33ft off the ground) with three elements would be far better then a dipole. The higher the beam gets, the lower the radiation angle. If you were using a beam up 60 ft then the skip would skip over the US into Europe or wherever the beam is pointing. Dipoles and verticals don't compare very well to beams. You may be heard with verticals, but beams give you gain making your stations S units louder.

Your formula on the beam is wrong. For a 10/15/20 meter beam the minimum height above ground to be effective is 33 feet.

Yes, verticals would work good for net control, but the net control station should be somewhere in the Midwest for the best propagation. Beams would work just as well. It's all personal preference.

If you want, I can always help you out with CW. The reason I have reached 30wpm + is that I practice all the time. If you can already receive at 10wpm, start having QSO's everday at 10wpm. Your speed will quickly increase. You can read the article I wrote for NCJ (National Contest Journal) which gives a little bit of my CW story (as well as my ham radio biography) at http://www.arrl.org/ncj/2008/07/Darula.pdf

It is a pdf file so you will need adobe reader.

2. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

haha its cool man whenever you gat a chance to be net control just let me know haha i gotta write some kind of script for it before Sunday haha. hope to hear ya on there

3. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, Im usually pretty busy but managed to try to check in last night... but didnt hear anything... I might have gotten the time wrong... 200 UTC... is that 10 pm EST? I forgot with the whole time changes and Ive been busy enough this summer to be operating spuraticaly... Ill try again next weekend if I can! BTW, 7.270 had an AM station about a KHz up...

4. KC2PMW

KC2PMW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Idea...Should be more

Hi,

I just wanted to say good job on getting a net together. I will try to check in this weekend.

It may be a good idea to switch it to a Saturday evening. On Sunday evening during the school year, everyone is studying for a test on Monday.:)

Also, we should have more such nets. Not everyone is equipped for all bands. Maybe having another net on 20 meters or 75 meters is a good idea. If the 40 meter net is at 02:00z, then maybe a 20 meter at 01:00z and a 75 meter net at 03:00z.

If there is interest, we can choose a frequency and talk more about it.

Until later,
    KC2PMW

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sunday is not seeming to work lets do a saturday net same time justo n saturday on the same freq Saturday at 200UTC on 7.270 LSB and if you cant make that at 300UTC we will meet on 3.855 LSB any other suggestions for nets or time would be fine with me what do you guys think?

6. KC2PMW

KC2PMW Ham Member QRZ Page

See you then

Sounds good. I will try my hardest to be there. I am Woodbury, NJ with a Hustler 4 Band Trap Verticle with 75Mtr resonator and IC-725. Hopefully everything will be ready in time. My radials are not all set out yet:).

I would also recommend a 20 meter as per the original plan for the net before 40 meters was chosen. 14.335MHz USB at 01:00z. This is 10kHz above the Hurricane Watch Net and may have better propogation for long distance contacts, at the very least it tends to be reliable and fairly consistant. Maybe not DX, but pretty far.

Until later,
    KC2PMW

7. KB1PKL

KB1PKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Net Tonight?

Is there a net tonight? I'll listen anyway, but cant participate (only a tech). Taking my General test Monday!!

8. KI4LFP

KI4LFP Guest

hey whens the next net id love to join im running a 80m carolina windom and a 756pro

9. KD0DJH

KD0DJH Ham Member QRZ Page

Where, When?

Hi,
    I'm a new ham and still am not on the air yet :(, anyways I saw that this net happend to be on a general class frequency. Well it happens that I am a general class licensee and was wondering where the net is, when the net is, and what mode the net is?

10. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

The net is still not rolling yet check back later.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.