Youth ham net

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KD8EPC, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be best if we had a net control vertically polarized and a assistant net control with a beam, unless anyone has a beam that won't be possible clearly if you have a good vertical setup such as a butternut vertical with radials that would probably skip over people in surrounding states because of the launch angle is so low that is why it is such a good dx antenna.

A beam would be useless unless it is 60ft ( or something like that I can not remember the formula) or above other wise the beam is just a regular dipole.

Most of all I think this should not be a net but a group that meets on a frequency.

I personally do not have an amplifier I run 100 watts but do not be afraid of that 100 watts. If I can work UA3TCJ in Moscow russia with the A index 5 and SFI 65 on 100 watts thats good. I will probably be upgrading my antenna system to a Butternut 9 bnd vertical http://www.bencher.com/ham/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

Hey Cal why don;t you help a noob like me out with CW?

I can send at 40 wpm but cant recieve at 10wpm :mad::mad:

KC9MAV

2. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

I use a dipole and I'm always strong enough. Cal, a wire would work fine. But the thing is there are going to be relay's inevitably, and I agree it would be good to limit those if possible. We wouldn't need a relay for every check-in, what would be a good idea is compile of list of relays standing by. Have the main NC make any calls, and pick-up whoever they hear. Then have another relay station call the net for a bit. Many nets already do this because regardless of what you're running you're never going to hear everybody.

There is a net of 15m that has 4 people running it. One main NC, and 3 relays. They pass around who's calling throughout the net. Once I was trying the check-in, the guy with a beam didn't hear me. But when another fellow was calling the net, he heard me and I got checked in. Having 1 net control MAY work on VHF repeaters or close in comms, but what is very common is multiple NC's.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Duncan is right, I check into a lot of HF nets and there are many of them with 4 or 5 net controls. They are strategically positioned across the US.

4. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can slow down to 30wpm or maybe 25 I can help you out.
    dont mind sending a little bit slow

5. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope to hear you guys on the net this weekend..
    .......after the contest

6. EI5GTB

EI5GTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks, over at www.hamradioteens.org we tried to get a net running. but never had much success, we were all a bit spread out. Im going to start to try and get some nets running again, or mabye more round tables than nets. I will add a forum just for skeds, be sure to check us out, and hopefully we can orginise somthing, we have quite a few members at the moment, so mabye that could help to get some good chats goin!!

Paul EI5GTB

7. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats because the net was on echolink and the server was in the Y section and it was almost the last page.:D

KC9MAV

8. EI5GTB

EI5GTB Ham Member QRZ Page

well, that and the fact that the server was broken most of the time. along with very few people turing out when it was running!

9. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

net

alright guys this Sunday at 200UTC on 7.270 LSB. is the net . I will be net control unless someone else would like to be. I hope to hear you all there.

73 de kd8epc

10. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I feel bad because I volunteered to net control and havent done it yet, but things got REALLY busy last week when I started a summer class with lots of homework due on Mondays! I'll be trying to check in though so hope to hear you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.