ad: Morse-1

Youth ham net

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KD8EPC, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Heres a suggestion... Yahoo Group? Get one or two people to lead it.... give it a shot, if it doesnt work, keep trying.... I'd like to help where I can. I dont think I can be a leading member of much more with the time I have. If something gets started I'd like to see what I can do about getting my clubs involved as well when school's back in session

2. KD8EPC

KD8EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

group

Ill start a yahoo group if anyone else here wants to join? Let me know? Ill starto ne then post the link here?

3. KD8EPC

4. KB1LQD

Congrats on getting the group started,

IMHO we should try to keep it geared towards youth. I'm not trying to start yet another forum argument about this but my with my 2 cents I'd say keep the group for youths. reason being, it would be a youth net... Honestly, many young people have different tastes, interests, and activities than non-youths. This would add a different flavor to a group rather than having a youth group of half or less of youths, and the rest obviously not. Just the way I've noticed the way things have gone throughout other attempts to get this kind of thing going again. If you've kept tabs on my other post on topics simular to this, you'd know that I'm a supporter of a youth "Community" which is why I have this view on it.

Remember, This is my opinion... It's your group so do as you want with it. just my 2 cent! either way I'm supportive!

5. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah but what would you consider youth, under 18?
    Shouldn't a responsible adult maybe a ham thats a parent moderate it?
    Also what happens when all the youths are no longer youths?

6. KD8BVS

KD8BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm starting to regret selling my entire Kenwood TS-430S HF station now. I'm 16 btw.

7. KB1LQD

Well, with the average ham over the age of 40... I think its a gray line and pretty safe to say that college age is still youth. Whats to say that a youth operator is not responsible? NAYN operated great with no adult moderator, it's demise was mainly due to band conditions and the location of many members. Actually, with my time in NAYN I heard control stations operating very well, just as good as any other well run net. Obviously the net control station should be familiar with running a net, or at least familiar with them. The whole Idea of the net is to be fun, ragchew, hang out with other people your own age, not a regimented emergency net or traffic net.

to reply to your last comment... I've been into radio for nearly 5 years now, finished my first year of college, and have done a lot in past years to help promote the hobby to youths and I am still doing that. Unfortunately if you use my definition of a youth operator then that means I have a only few more years left... But contrary to popular belief the hobby isn't "dead", It may be declining but there are still many kids younger than me getting into the hobby. I've been on the youth forum since its inception and can tell you that there are many youths here that were not here in the beginning. so i don't see a close end to interest in new youths coming aboard! :) There were youth operators before me when I got to NYAN....

Listen I'm not saying "lets go start a part of the hobby just for kids..." all I'm saying is that I believe a lot of us would like to just hang out on the air together as our own youth "group."

KD8EPC, Hows it looking? I just joined the yahoo group. As a side note, I'm working with my high school club over the summer, they still have a few weeks of school left so the next two mondays we'll meet. (2-4pm EST). We're working on a lot of things this summer but still hope to keep meetings going whether at the school or at my house, If it works out I can see if we can meet during net time. It's a possibility!

8. KD8EPC

group

The groups going alright we have no posts on it yet but about 5 members so far i would like to keep it growing im going to put a post on there tonight to try to get something going. That high school club sounds cool i would love to start one at my school but i have no idea how to go about that. Even if your a youth ham without a radio join the group on yahoo. We could start a chat room on yahoo or aim.

9. KB1LQD

Dustin, private message me with some info about what grade your in, how many people might be interested in your club... ETC..... I was the co-founder of my high school club and we never would have gotten our "own" station if it wasn't for the ARRL Big Project. It's a grant that you fill out and apply for gear. I can send you in the right direction!

10. KD8EPC

pm

pm sent to ya. :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.