Youth Election

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KC0WTS, Oct 25, 2008.

?

Who's Your Presidential Pick?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2008.
  1. McCain-Palin; I'm 18 or older

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Obama-Biden; I'm 18 or older

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. McCain-Palin; I'm under 18

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Obama-Biden; I'm under 18

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't vote on this forum here, but I got to send in my absentee ballot considering Im at school in NY right now. There are several other candidates on the ballot for Massachusetts... the sad part is that its is almost unrealistic that anyone other than the democratic nominee or republican nominee will receive candidacy purely due to advertisement. but that's a fact of life there, we know more about those two than any other canidate....

Seems to be ok right now, keep it that way! This is a youth forum. Im sure there is a big debate on the politics board... But this is my first election, and I am having a real tough time deciding, Im going to get it in the mail tomorrow!

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today was our last day to submit absentee ballots in PA, according to the news. I commute to school so there is no need for me to do so.

3. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I voted for McCain/Palin.

Hey, let's think of it like this.... If we have to look at one family for the next four years: It might as well be the Palins :D:eek: RAWR!

JK....

If Obama wins the election, this country will go downhill faster than it already is. I will take McCain's 30 + years experience over Obama's 3 years any day. This country is in need of a leader, not someone who will need on the job training.

I will say that Obama's ideas on a few issues are better spoken than McCains, but McCain excels Obama where it really matters: The economy and the war in Iraq.

"I've been called a Maverick..." -John McCain

4. KC0WTS

KC0WTS Ham Member QRZ Page

lets not forget the second amendment in this election....that's a big factor

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't going to debate here, but after I started reading some the responses I figured that I should share some thoughts. First off let me respond to your comment on the two party system. It is people who believe we must live with the two party system and say it is a sad truth who keep the two party system alive. If the American people would stand up and fight for a third party or independent candidate than a third party or independent candidate would have a chance. Also if the corporations who sponsor debates and run the media would give more coverage to these candidates and let them debate they would be more well known. There is very little coverage about Nader. Also Nader doesn't get the financial support because he doesn't let corporations run him so he isn't able to afford half-hour infomercials on national TV. So you say it is a sad, help us change the mindset of the United States political system.

Maverick, eh? According to Congressional Quarterly's Voting Studies, in 2007 McCain voted in line with the president's position 95 percent of the time. Doesn't sound like much of a Maverick to me. But that is okay.

You really think McCain's position on the economy is better? More tax cuts for the rich and the big oil companies? Remember, both Obama and McCain voted for the bail out. You think McCain's position on Iraq is better than Obamas? Obama has let down the progressives in talking about withdrawing the troops, he is talking about 16 months but has brought no real plan. Nader has a solid plan. Obama will likely keep changing his position and we will end up there for another 4 years. But McCain will probably do the excat same and more innocent lives will needlessly be lost because of a faux war that was started by our current President (if you can really call him that, I mean he wasn't elected in a fair election).

Obama is going to make the country go downhill fast? Honestly, I think both McCain and Obama will do a pretty good job of that no matter which is elected. Look at Obama's FISA vote and his talk about sending troops to the Pakistan border. Obama isn't a real progressive. He is just far enough to the left of McCain on certain social issues to get the democrats interested. However, he has been fooling the American people running on a platform of change and so has McCain (talk about the same old crap as Bush).

You really think Palin is hot, eh? Have you seen Elizabeth Kucinich? She isn't only foxy but she is also brilliant. Palin, well I think her own words and actions speak more of her intelligence than I can. But that is a different story. Frankly that was the point where McCain took that massive drop in the polls, when he picked her.

You want to talk about experience, eh? McCain has been a politician for 30+ years, Nader has been fighting for the consumer rights (and for rights in general) of the American people for the last 40+ years. Oh, and not to mention that originally McCain had said that he would pick a Vice President who could step in as president at moments notice. Palin isn't up for that task, or at least she hasn't shown me she is. I don't believe Obama is either. But Nader is, and Gonzalez (his running mate) is also a very intelligent and over all amazing person.

I am sorry but there are major issues other than gun control. The bottom line is there is gun control and it is not going way. I like Ralph Nader support the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban. I would have a hard time supporting an overall weapons ban; however, I think that there are certainly people who don't need guns and some guns that people don't need.

6. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont worry,
    Up here in Canada we think most of yall are jerks. So theres no sense in apologizing for it.:rolleyes:

haha, jokes jokes.

See? politics bring in the worst of people.
    I tried talking to my mother about politics and she just gets angry.
    I mean reallllll flamin mad.

I asked who she had voted for.. and she said the pc's, and I asked her why she voted for them she said "because I like their views on healthcare"
    And then I asked her what other views they have. And she said she had no clue, I just went there and marked down on the little piece of paper.
    I told her that healthcare is just one of the many issues we are facing in canada currently, and you clearly have no clue about any of the political parties.. so why on earth would you go and vote? because you think it makes you a responsible adult??? when in fact it makes you the complete opposite!! Do you think that if I just closed my eyes every time I went target shooting and shot at what in the direction I thought was best, that it would make me a responsible shooter? NO FRIGGIN WAY!

It made me so FUMING MAD when I realised that she.. in all likely hood was not the only person that has ever voted that way. I mean.. Just look at the kind of people that are deciding our future! and there not even going to be in it for much freakin longer.. Im sure if I was going to be in a nursing home I would make damn sure I voted for the political party that promised me three meals a day and the least elderly neglect and whatnot... but think of the children!!!! for crying out loud!

I mean I have enough worries between work, school, friends, car payments, blah blah blah..
    I EVEN HAVE TO PAY FREAKIN TAXES FOR CHRIST SAKE, AND TO WHOM?? TO SOME DESK JOCKIE THAT SOME SOCCER MOM WITH FOUR KIDS VOTED FOR BECAUSE HER HEALTH CARE WOULD BE CHEAPER? MEANWHILE ALL I HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN SOMETIME DOWN THE ROAD I HAVE TO SUPPORT MYSELF, IS PAYING THROUGH MY NOSE FOR A BLOODY CARBON TAX??? AND FOR GUN REGISTRY? AND TO PAY SOME BLOODY CITY SLICKEN COP TO TICKET PEOPLE ALL DAY FOR NOT HAVING A CATLYTIC CONVERTER ON THERE VEHICLE?

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE? DO PEOPLE REALISE THAT WHEN THEY VOTE THEY ARE VOTING FOR THE PEOPLE IN THERE FAMILY THAT CANT AS WELL??

ARRRGHHHHHHHHHH

7. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to realize that all of Obama's attack ads are not always true. While McCain may vote with the president on some issues that doesn't mean that it is set in stone at over 95%. McCain probably said he voted with the president so often to win support to be able to enter the presidential election in the first place.

Yes, I do think McCain's position on the economy is better. Obama wants to simply cut taxes for family's making less than $250,000 dollars, the middle class. However, he wants to raise taxes on family's making more than $250,000, the small business owners. If taxes are raised on small buisiness owners, the owners won't be able to pay for their buisinesses and therefore they will go out of buisiness. If this happens then Obama will succede in putting more and more people on the streets due to lack of jobs in the U.S...... McCain, however, wants to cut taxes for family's making more than 250,000 because those folks are the small buisiness owners and because if they have more money and less taxes than they will be able to hire more people and give more homeless people jobs which will then help the economy. You see, McCain's plan is better in the end.

Yes, I think McCain's position on Iraq is better. Obama votes to pull all the troops in Iraq out immediately. If he does this than Al Quada will march his forces right back into Iraq and all the money and American lives we have spent will be wasted. McCain has a plan; he will gradually pull out troops, therefore Al Quada will not be able to destroy all the progress we have made.

As for Palin..... that was a little joke on my part. I thought it was quite clever at the time but NO I do not think she is hot. She does look nice for her age though and I'm sure there are a couple of the older posters on this forum that would fancy her so I decided to add the comment to my post. :D

Yes, Palin is rather unintelligent. The only thing that I have seen her speak out on with dilligence is how she is going to help children with special needs. She excels in that category. However, I, like you, do not think that she would be fit to become president should the need arise. I do not think that the need will arise though so I do not let that affect my thoughts. I do think that McCain made a mistake in choosing her. I think the only reason he did choose her was because he thought at the time that if he choose a women people would want to vote not only for Obama but also for him to make history as the first woman VP. This is one of his decisions that has backfired.

As for Nader, I haven't really followed his "campaign". I will say that it is sad that people don't really have the chance to learn much about all the candidates before they cast their ballot.

8. KC0WTS

KC0WTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Why must you all post such big replies? Now obviously McCain is the better man for the job, however, do to racism and other factors, O-bomba will probably be the winner.:mad::mad:

And, Cal's right....Palin doesn't look too bad

9. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, we have some good, thought out opinions in here and some good discussion. I just want to remind everyone that this is a "youth" forum and any serious political talks should be taken over to the respective forum. I know the intent of this topic and poll, and I don't see anything wrong with it on this board, just keep it that way!

Thanks!

Brent S.

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Attack ads are generally not true, no matter who is producing them. They are designed to skew the facts and in the end serve their purpose to attack. But you know that already. My source for the McCain voting along with Bush 95% of the time is based on a report done in the Congressional Quarterly looking at votes through 2007. As for McCain saying that he voted with the president so often to win support and enter the election, while we can look at the votes and see that McCain did in fact vote with bush 95% of the time, McCain saying he did to win support would be lying. You said before that McCain was a leader, leaders lie to win support to get nominated by their party?

The problem here is you are comparing Obama & McCains plans. But you fail to look for an even better plan, Naders. In 2004 in an interview with Pat Buchanan, Ralph Nader shared his thoughts on what is a "Fair Tax" structure. Fair implying it benefits the lower & middle class. Far more than Obama ever will. But before I talk about why Nader's plan is better in the long run, let me share with you a bit of tax history.

When Reagan took office the top tax rate was 70 percent in terms of income tax and Reagan cut that to 28 percent, of course also in the course of his presidency he nearly tripled the national debt. But again that is besides the point, what I am getting to is that Clinton decided to raise that top tax percent (I am too lazy to try to find the income tax rate during Bush Sr.) to 39.6 percent. Bush cut it down to 35%. Obama is proposing to raise that percentage back to the 39% for people making over $250,0000 a year.

So what is Nader's plan? First off no income tax for people making less than $100,000 a year. And after that the income tax would be 35% (the top rate under the Bush administration). Also there is the estate Tax, in this 2004 interview Bush had the estate tax at 55%, he was gradually cutting it down (I don't know what it is today). McCain would set it at 15 percent for estates above $5 million. Obama would set it at 45 percent for estates above $3.5 million. Nader would set it at 35% for estates over $10million. There would still be a tax on smaller estates. he thinks all estates over, say, $500,000 should pay some tax. However, it wouldn't be that high of a tax rate. Of course Warren Buffett doesn't pay a thing for an estate tax because it all goes to his foundation and this is probably very true for a lot of the wealthy people, getting away with not paying because of loopholes.

I like Nader's idea of a 1 percent tax on wealth. This would bring in a lot of money to do a lot of good. I mean it was those in poverty working for Wal-Mart getting paid a non-living wage who helped make money for the CEO of Wal-Mart, why shouldn't he have to pay a 1 percent wealth tax?

We should tax polluters, companies making money by destroying our ozone layer. They should be taxed, and Nader would do it. We should legalize gambling and tax it. We should tax stock and currency speculation. While those on wall street trade and their transactions that gain them millions of dollars do not get taxed, people go without food and a place to sleep.

I can't say it better than nader, so I will quote him:

So sure, you can sit there all day and compare Obama's plan and McCain's plan, and that is fine. But look at a plan that makes the most sense and really does help the most people.

Again, you compare Obama's and McCain's position. I said Nader had the best plan. He supports the Iraq Reconciliation Plan. We do need to pull out all of our troops, McCain has not set a timetable for withdrawal in order to gradually pull out our troops. At least I haven't seen this, perhaps you could send me a link. We should never have been in Iraq in the first place, it is an un-lawful war based on lies. We must end our foreign occupation of Iraq.

I am glad you agree that she is rather unintelligent. And you are right she isn't going to ever become president because McCain isn't going to win the election.

If you think this is sad, than urge the new media to let third party candidates and independents debate. If you think this is the case, urge your state to change the rules on getting on the ballot. Of course Minnesota did something wonderful getting an independent elected to lead your state, in Texas it is a huge hassle (much harder than for those in parties) to get a third party candidate on the actual ballot.

I find it funny that you decided not to respond to my comments on the 2nd amendment, almost as if you had nothing constructive to say about the topic. As for McCain being better for the job, please read this and my last response. Racism? Against who? White people? Was there are group of neo-nazi's that had a plot to kill McCain? I don't think so. Obama will win because he has fooled the American people into believing that he is a true progressive, when in reality the only true progressive in this race is Nader (who is on the ballot in I believe 45 states).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.