ad: M2Ant-1

Your tricks for cleaning a dirty chassis?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KW4H, Jul 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N9AED

N9AED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t forget Q-tips and dental picks for the detail areas.

2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like flitz for detailed metal parts and chassis. I use an old ultra sonic electric toothbrush and light cotton polishing rags.

3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a little too much Cool Aid, I think.

Sure Ya want it dry. Just don't fill up the power transformer shells, and cover the open frame types with a baggy and/or masking tape. Remove meters and known water sensitive stuff. A full sunny day of the chassis setting on one side or the other so everything is getting plenty of air, and all but the most remote areas will most certainly be dry, and unless you're a marathon kinda guy it'll be on the bench for at least a week anyway, so all the water would be gone.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N9LCD

N9LCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And costs a heck of a lot less.

6. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Brasso is a good polish, but it contains ammonia and is not all-product safe like Flitz. A milder cleaner and polish is Silvo and made by the same company.

A great product that hasn't been mentioned yet is called "Renaissance Wax". It isn't cheap, but for a treasured item like granddad's old Hallicrafters rig, it is great stuff. It works on metals, plastics, highly polished woods, ivory, etc. It is actually used to keep museum artifacts clean and corrosion free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Renaissa...=sem&msclkid=7210aa47985414f3c171cb47cd58568d

I know that the virus thing has hit that company hard, so product may be difficult to locate or scarce/non-existent.

7. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use a power washer, consider an electric model. They push out water at ~1700 to 2000 psi max. Gasoline powered models can significantly exceed that pressure rating up to and exceeding 3000 psi. Lower pressure is better.

8. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric asked;

No sand blasting involved, just power washer.

9. WD0GOF

WD0GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KN4SMF

KN4SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

On my SX-16, I gave it a general rebuild and alignment. And a cosmetic job pertaining to general dents, fogged or discolored lenses, and detailing. but made no attempt to renew the chassis. It wasn't necessary. Is the chassis all pristine? No. You have to know where to stop. Now, if it had been a rat-piss rusted trainwreck, leaving pressure washing and total stripdown, then things would have maybe been different. It's now a fine radio that gives testimate to its age gracefully. The knob lettering is all hand-done. Most tedious work.

Attached Files: