Your suggestions for a good hand-hled dual bander...

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by ZL1VSF, Feb 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a couple of generations of boards and lately some higher power models but yes - pretty much all the same with little differences. Hard to beat them for the price, though.

2. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, ok...

I had been watching the UV-5R radios for the past few years, not quite knowing just what to make of them. I mean, "so cheap", what are you actually buying..?? In that time I saw so many different models of appear for sale. I had no idea that they were all the same...

A friend of mine said he wanted to try one but they just looked a bit ugly. I sort of disagreed, saying that many of them look all the same to me. He bought and subsequently put me on to the Wouxun brand for hand held's and began extolling the fine virtues of his new radio (KG-UV1DP) which didn't cost the earth either. Many months went by and then I decided to also buy one after listening to his fine testimony all this time, only I decided to buy the newer KG-UV8D. Meantime, he had also bought a KG-UV920P dual band mobile and also gave it the rave up too. I got my UV-8D H/H and it sort of went well, then also bought a KG-UV950P, quad (next up from the 920P that he had). I was updating so what the heck, may as well save a few bucks - right..!! After the glossy part of owning a new radio began to subside, I began to see some not so good things in the UV-8D,, but almost immediately after getting the KGUV-950P, I noticed some downright unacceptable traits being exhibited by it. The UV8D, I could live with,, the 950P, I began to cringe at. Around this time I began to take a second look at the Baofeng UV-5R, which had by this time, come down to about half of what they were the last time I eyed them up,, I mean this is really dirt cheap. I bought one, simply because of the price. It turned out to be a far better radio than the Wouxun UV-8D in so many ways. I bought another just a month later, which was even cheaper (under $70 local dollars, which would be the equivalent of about $30-35 US in spending power). It is not a perfect radio but for the price, it is exceptionally hard to beat...

Since then, I had decided to get my feet back on the ground and get back with more "known brands" that I can trust with a lot more ease of mind. I replaced the Wouxun KG-UV950P with a Yaesu FT-8800R, which was the VERY BEST thing I ever did with radios, and will sooner or later get a Yaesu FT-60 to take the lead role in hand held's for me. Right now, my trusty old soldering iron just thew a wobbly and decided to stop working and I have to replace that, which is going to cost me about the same price as an FT-60. Oh well, I've had it for over 30 years so I guess I can't complain. My budget has been really stretched since this time last year and radio gear is now on the luxury items list. The budget just got stretched a little more, as a good soldering station is not cheap either, but it's definitely "needed"...

The Baofeng UV-5R is quite a nice little radio, so nice in fact, that even though I was ready to buy an FT-60 until the soldering iron blew its butt a few days ago, I don't mind putting the FT-60 off for a few more weeks/months...

As for my friends opinions of radio's... No Comment...!!! Hahahaha...

Al...

3. K3LFC

K3LFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought two of these from copper electronics..theyre good? cool beans!

4. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are considering a Baofeng skip the UV-5R series and spend about $5 more and get the UV-82 series. Really decent radios for the money with very good sound, dual PTT, more rugged and a better antenna. I consider the UV-82 the best bang for the buck right now.