Your suggestions for a good hand-hled dual bander...

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by ZL1VSF, Feb 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7HCZ

KF7HCZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 ft60's and a vx6r. Great radios. The 60s are my favorite.

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

the ft-817nd can be held in your hand and offers much much much much more than an ht.

3. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

BF-F8HP 8W HT with 3800mah battery and NA-701 antenna...

4. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless something can come along and change my mind, I think I am sort of set on the FT-60 (not that I am totally disregarding any other suggestions though)...

You know,, sometimes I think us New Zealanders are great at knocking (poking the borax at or bad mouthing) anything out of the ordinary. In the past 6 or so months, I've heard a great many hams on the 2m local, and 70cm national link repeater systems, slinging mud at the Chinese dual band hand held's, saying they no good etc,, BUT,, slowly and surely I am hearing literally bus loads of them, young, older, newly licensed or old timers, revealing that they are actually using these radios, mostly the Baofeng UV-5R. The surprising thing is that they sound as good as any other hand held I have ever heard, and not one of them as an owner, has really had a bad thing to say about the UV-5R. It seems to be the others who have never actually owned one, that mostly know all about them and have the most bad things to say about them,, hahahaha.. Oh boy, we can be a bunch of know-alls at times, can't we...???

I have a Wouxun KG-UV8D d/b and a Baofeng UV-5R d/b (actually, TWO of them but I only use one) and while I don't love the Wouxun too much, I really do like the Baofeng. It works real well but I just wish it was made a little more solidly. Too many bits and pieces on it look like they could break or prematurely wear down - clips for the battery etc... That's the only reason I want to get a better built radio...

Anyway, I've probably already said all this before...

Al

5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-60 is a solid radio. Have had one for years, though I need a new battery for it (yeah, I use it a lot).

The only thing is that its not "dual watch" if you're looking for a radio to watch two repeaters at once....

But other than that, its probably what you're looking for.

6. ZL1VSF

Cheers Josh,

I found out about the FT-60's non dual watch/display thing out a couple of days back and am still willing to settle for that. I don't really mind. I've got an Icom IC-207H mobile, a dual bander but single readout, so I kind of got used to it already. The Baofeng UV-5R has a weird setup though. It has dual readout, any two memory channels you want but even if you enable twin receive, the first channel to light up takes over and blocks the others' receive, until it frees up then again whichever lights up first after that, takes over, so you can (and I have regularly done so) get two completely different inter-mingled conversations, and if you're not actually watching the radio, you can suddenly realize that this QSO doesn't make sense, and that it sounds like two different ones - because it IS...!!!

NO, the single watch or readout doesn't totally bug me. I did want a dual one but I can live with a single...

Al

7. K0ATG

K0ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng UV9+ 1-5-8 watt dual band with big battery, speaker mic, soft case, software cable, and free shipping from Amazon for around $60. CHIRP latest build for free and you have a nice little radio setup.

8. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn, I didn't know they had come out with the UV9. I will have to check that out. I have had two Baofeng. First was stolen. Bought a new one next day.

9. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, there is no such thing as a Baofeng UV9 series. Probably just Marketing ploy by some sellers.

10. ZL1VSF

I've seen quite a few different names thrown around with the Baofengs. As far as I am aware there are basically still the same models as there have been for the last year to two and most of the are based on the standard UV-5...