Your Recommendations Please? HF Vertical

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE4VTH, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE4VTH

KE4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a dipole for 75 meters but am interested in getting something up for the rest of the HF bands. I was using an R5 which worked ok but took a lightning several years ago. I am looking to get something back up for 40-10 but space is a consideration. I have some room but not a great deal. I need something that will work reasonably well 40-10. I do have an amp capable of up to 600 watts. Vertical would be best for me as far as space goes. I am looking for suggestions based on experience as to what might work ok and what to avoid.
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

73's
    Jim Knight

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on just how much you want to spend. The HyGain HyTower is the Rolls Royce of verticals. But, they are right at $1K these days. I have had one for 37 years and it was used when I got it. However, the antenna really "romps and stomps" on 80 and 40 meters. I have yagis for 20, 15, 12, and 10 so don't use it on those bands. I do use it on 30 meters and 17 meters and it does a very good job on those bands.

Glen, K9STH

3. W8HDU

W8HDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the Butternut HF6V 80-10 6-Band Vertical. It's worked well for many, many years. I can't complain.

4. WA7OET

WA7OET Moderator QRZ Page

The older handbooks and atenna handbooks had plans for a 40-10 meter ground plane with only one trap. I believe it was called, "4 bands on a pole."
    More information on your situation would be helpful like available supports.

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree that he HiTower is the Cadillac of verticals, having used one years ago. But, you need the space to put in a good network of radials. I've had good luck with the R-series of verticals from Cushcraft, usually mounting one to a solid chimney on the roof. Those seem to work pretty well with the counterpoise system rather than the full set of radials.

........Bob

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

It all boils down to 3 possibility's.

1- 1/4 wave ground mounted-needs a LOT of radials.-dozens to hundreds.

2- 1/4 wave mounted at least 1/10 wavelength above ground-needs 2 or 3 1/4 wave radials.

3- 1/2 wave design, either ground mounted or elevated, just needs a modest counterpoise.

If you pay attention to the ground system requirements, there is not a whole lot of difference in performance between the various brands and models.

Rege

7. CT2JUT

CT2JUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would go for the Big SteppIr Vertical antenna.

It tunes nice into your coaxial cable, instead of an ATU next to the rig.

You also have the possibility to increase/decrease the antenna´s lenght manually.

I guess that with four (at least) good elevated radials you´ll be doing OK!

73 de Miguel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.